Thalassemia Minor and Folic Acid Supplement

• 3 Replies
Thalassemia Minor and Folic Acid Supplement
« on: May 16, 2011, 08:43:01 PM »
Hi,  it was a pleasure reading this informative forum. I hope this forum continue to  selflessly give help and support to all thal patients who have accessed this forum.

I was recently diagnosed with a Beta Thalassemia Minor (Phenotype) with the following blood test results:  

MCV 57,
MCH 19,
MCHC 33;
Hemoglobin Electrophoresis Hb A 97.5%, Hb A2 2.5%.

Other Blood Test Results that might be helpful:  

Ferritin 324 ng/ml (above normal),
Iron 68 ug/dl (normal),
Iron Binding Capacity 354 ug/dl (normal),
Hemoglobin 14.2 g/dl (normal),
Red Blood Cell 7.54 mil/mm3 (above normal), and
Hematocrit 43.3% (normal).

My doctor prescribed a 1600mcg of folic acid daily.  Given my figures above, is it really necessary?  Or do you recommend me to take further blood tests on  B12 and Folic Acid to determine whether I need a folic acid supplement?

What other supplements should i take? Vitamin D? Vitamin E?

Thank you very much. Hope to hear from  you soon.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 09:10:26 PM by mcyu1 »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia Minor and Folic Acid Supplement
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »
Folic acid is a basic building block of red blood cells. It is prescribed for thals as a way to help optimize healthy red blood cell production. I recommend it for all thals. I also recommend a B complex, natural vitamin E and vitamin D if you do not get daily exposure to sunshine. If fatigue is an issue, get your vitamin D level checked. My own doctor wants a minimum of 35 as the D level, which is higher than the current offical recommendations. My own experience tells me my doctor is right about the level.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Andy and Everyone,
Thanks for letting me become a member of this forum. I am grateful to have found this forum as both me my daughter have thalassemia trait (alpha chain hemoglobin variant).
My 10 year old daughter develops sever constipation especially when she has cheese based products like pizza or pasta (and myself also but not as bad as her). She has been on supplemental laxative like milk of magnesia for 1.5 years. I have noticed that when she is given folic acid daily 800mcg, it helps her a lot. The folic acid helps me also a lot when I am constipated.
Stats for my daughter:
Hemoglobin : 10.4 (LOW)
MCV : 59.5 (LOW)
MCH : 19.1 (LOW)
MCHC : 32 (NORMAL)
RdW : 17.9 (HIGH)

My question is, if I keep giving 800 mcg folic acid to my 10 year old daughter, is there a side effect or is it harmful in any which way long term? The pediatrician doesn't have a clear opinion on this.

Thanks

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:44:56 AM »
Thanks this thread helps my queries too. I will take folic acid even if levels are normal. My vit D levels are 25. So maybe not optimal for Thal minor. Will take that too. I was taking a multi vitamin. Turns out my iron levels were too high. I was taking this before I found out I was Thal minir. My particular vitamin has 14mg of iron. A complete no no for thal minors I guess?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk