Is it safe to travel by plane with Beta Thalassemia minor while pregnant?

• 2 Replies
I have just been diagnosed with beta thalassemia minor and I am pregnant.  Is it safe to travel by air (fly on a plane) while pregnant?  I have tried searching for days trying to find this information. My ob is not sure!?!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
There are no restrictions on flying due to thalassemia. Most thal minors are unaware that they are carriers and there have been no specific problems observed. The only restrictions would be in the case of patients with pulmonary hypertension or thrombosis, which can cause blood clots. It is known that thrombosis can be a problem during pregnancy for thal majors and intermedias and there is much anecdotal evidence that this can also happen in thal minors. I recommend talking vitamin E during pregnancy, as it is a mild blood thinner and can combat clotting. The length of the flight is also a factor in blood clots and are found mainly when people take long distance flights overseas. To be on the safe side you may also want to take one baby aspirin before flying and also make sure you walk about the plane a bit when in the air. Your doctor can tell you more about whether or not there seems to be any risk of thrombosis during your pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Thanks Andy! I will make sure to take more Vit E.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk