Gathering Information - Alpha Thal Trait

• 3 Replies
Gathering Information - Alpha Thal Trait
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:16:11 AM »
Hi Everyone.

I was diagnosed with alpha thal trait as an adult.  At this time I am the only one in my family with it and no idea how it got in the gene pool.  I live in Denver, CO a city known for its altitude.  My doctor says that Alpha Thal Traits don't have symptoms and that there is nothing that needs to be done.  I have also read on line that Western doctors know the least about thalassemia.  I have had to educate myself and am finding it difficult to educate the people around me and related to me. 

My goal is to have more energy and not be so fatigued all the time.  I think the thalassemia plays a roll in my energy levels.

Does any one have any advice or experience they would like to share?  What has worked and what should be avoided?

May

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Gathering Information - Alpha Thal Trait
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 05:03:59 AM »
Hi MayS,

There is not a lot that is recommended for alpha thal trait. Folic acid supplements are always advised as folate is needed to build red blood cells. 1-5 mg daily is the recommended dose. There is also a list of what to avoid, because these items can cause hemolysis, the destruction of red blood cells, at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3410.msg34830.html#msg34830
Avoiding the things on this list may help if you have sudden bouts of fatigue. A nutritious diet and mild to moderate exercise can also help. Often. tiredness is not just from the thal, but also from vitamin D deficiency, so having your level tested with a blood test is advisable. If your level is below 30-35, you should be taking a vitamin D supplement daily. Unfortunately, that trait can mean low hemoglobin and there isn't much you can do to raise it with alpha trait, so optimizing your health through diet and exercise is one of the few things you can do to help yourself.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:30 AM »
Hi May

Read the posts on this website they are a great resource and don't listen when the doctors tell you that thal trait doesn't have symptoms, my daughter has thal trait and I could write a very long story of all her symptoms from enlraged spleen through to episodes of syncope and extreme fatigue.

Listen to your body, keep hydrated and take the supplements that are recommended they will help tremendously.

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 02:49:43 PM »
Thank you for the information.   :grin
May

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk