Hello, and which tests?

• 3 Replies

Offline Katherine

Hello, and which tests?
« on: June 08, 2011, 10:27:39 PM »
Hi everyone!  I just registered here, and am going tomorrow morning to have blood taken for testing, hopefully will find out if I've inherited Thal Minor from my mom.  Maybe I won't even have the trait, though I would be surprised from all that I've read so far.  What I'm wondering is which tests I should be asking for, since I'm guessing the Dr. won't know too much about it (they had to ask how it was spelled when I made the appointment).   Anything besides a CBC and what, Hemoglobin Electrophoresis?  I'm also curious about my iron levels, so prob get that and also Thyroid, and Vitamin D while I'm at it. 
Thanks so much if anyone has time to reply, not a biggie if not, I'm sure it'll get figured out  :biggrin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Hello, and which tests?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 01:01:12 AM »
Katie,

Welcome to thalpal!! 

I think that the tests that you have listed - complete CBC, hg electrophoresis and extensive iron testing are a good place to start.  If you these tests indicate possible thalassemia trait then further testing can be done to verify.  DNA testing and the like can be done when you plan to start a family and if it is suspected that your partner is also a carrier. 

Please feel free to post your test results once you have them if you require our assistance. 

Andy, are there any other tests that you would recommend at this time?

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 03:09:24 AM »
I think they may just start with a CBC and if that indicates anything unusual, then a hemoglobin electrophoresis should be run if there's any doubts.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Katherine

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 05:14:56 AM »
Hey thanks Sharmin and Andy for the replies!  Guess I'll see what I see when I get the test results...I'm almost hoping the trait is there, just because it might help to explain some low-energy and exercise tolerance issues I've had my whole life, otherwise I'll continue to look elsewhere.  I'm sure I'll be back with more questions after the tests, thx again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk