Boy am I a newbeeeee

• 9 Replies

Offline Jehda

Boy am I a newbeeeee
« on: June 25, 2011, 01:53:20 AM »
 :huh First I hope this post is being done correctly...Newbeee to posting and this forum.
With that Hi Y'all
Had serious problems a long time ago while pregnant doc's never diagnosed the problem. Now I find out my Great Niece has Thalassemia Major diagnosis, and that a cousin has been no coumin for 30 years do to what she calls thick blood.
Wondering what to think.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Boy am I a newbeeeee
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 02:02:57 AM »
Hi Jehda,

Do you have any information from any blood work you have had done over the years? Anything from a CBC (complete blood count)?

In your bio you mention thal major in a relative. Because of this and your own history it is essential that you follow through on this. Your family, including your own children need to know if they are carriers of thal. It is the only way to prevent the birth of more thal majors in the family. Knowing your status is extremely important even when there are no symptoms. I am guessing from your bio that at times you have had symptoms. Our group may be of value in that regard too, but first you must establish your own status. A CBC would be helpful, as would a hemoglobin electrophoresis test. If you haven't had any testing done, I would suggest both. Problems during pregnancy seem quite common among thal minors, so that does establish a background that needs to be investigated.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Jehda

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:43 AM »
Thank you so much for your reply.
I don't know where to start.
My son is now 28, so since the problems during pregnancy I have moved. Since then the only thing I have had is gal bladder removed and terrible insomia.
The doctor's now laugh at me when I try to tell them of the problems I had. Especially if I tell them as a young girl I was anemic all the time. I don't show as anemic now.
My General practitioner and Gynecologist were running test and my iron level just kept going down. The only thing I remember is the shape was apple with a bite out of it.
So I don't know how to open the subject with new doctor or what kind of doctor.
Sorry probably to much info but I'm confused.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 02:30:29 AM »
A CBC is a routine part of a physical. I had one yesterday as part of my bi-annual physical. It should be no problem to get your doctor to run one. Just ask for a copy of the results and I can take a look and tell you if thal minor is a possibility. If it is suspected, the doctor should have no problem ordering an electrophoresis test so that you can inform your son if he should also be tested. This is simply a matter of knowing the status so any potential partners can also be tested for thal trait. If the CBC shows anemia, do not take iron until more tests have been run to see if you actually are iron deficient, as iron cannot help the anemia of thal trait.
Andy

Offline Jehda

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:53:25 AM »
My next question would be how important would it be.
My last physical was oh, 2000maybe. My son had scoliosis surgery that year, husband had 5 by pass surgery. Since he has three stints one a year then A fib, knee replacement. So I guess until I found out today about the great niece I had forgot about the apple shape red blood cell with the bite out of it...... If apple took our blood cell shape do you think class action of logo infringement... :rotfl

Offline Jehda

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 03:01:20 AM »
Andy thank you for the little push.I wrote down the test and will make appointment with GP.
Does Thalassemia Major just cause problems with pregnancy? Hope this will help me figure out if it is important my sister just emailed me and Nichole has Thalassemia Minor not Major.
So maybe it is nothing to pursue?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 01:55:25 PM by Jehda »

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 07:03:15 PM »
If you carry a thal gene you need to know because when two carriers have children, there is a 25% chance of having a thal major. There is a 50% chance of passing on thal trait to your children if you are a carrier. Our group has loads of people in it who wish they had known theirs and their partner's status before having kids.  If there is any possibility of being a carrier, you should learn your status. We hear of many problems with thal minor pregnancies and reports of many miscarriages among thal minor women. I have discussed this at length in many posts. If you have had miscarriages, clotting issues or very low hemoglobin levels during pregnancy, checking your status is advised. Since you have previously been told that some of your red blood cells are not normally shaped, you should ask for the results of a CBC, which should already be in your records if you have routine physicals. Your doctor can tell you if your Hb level is low. If this is so, ask for a copy of the CBC results.
Andy

Offline Jehda

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 07:49:19 PM »
Thank you again Andy
I think I will be tested hopefully might help my sleep problems.
I will run around here and read.
After a few years maybe it is time for physical even though at 6o I guess I should feel kinda tired.

Offline Dori

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 10:25:36 PM »
Welcome on board & good luck in your search. It is important to known wether or not thal minor (has) bother you.

Offline Jehda

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 01:20:13 PM »
Thank you for the welcome Dori.
I hope your doing well.
Jehda

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk