Living with Post Splenectomy and Hepatitis C Virus

• 8 Replies

Offline Tarak

Living with Post Splenectomy and Hepatitis C Virus
« on: June 30, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
Hello!!! My Name is tpraval and i am from india. I am a 21 years old and thalassemia major patient. I had just done my splenectomy surgery two months ago. I had Hepatitis C reactivity since year 2007. My serum ferittin is about 8350.7 ng/ml. and want to start iron chelation immediately because my doctor said that if i will not starting iron chelation immediately, burden of extra iron in my body can causes live, kidney, heart and other important organs damages. I was took 6-7 blood transfusion before splenectomy and now i have take only two blood transfusion in a month after doing my splenectomy surgery. So what can i do to maintain my serum ferittin level in normal range? and control my HCV reactivity also? Please give me a proper guidance. I want your help immediately.

Offline Tarak

Re: Living with Post Splenectomy and Hepatitis C Virus
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:34:20 PM »
Please give me a reply on "tpraval@ovi.com" as soon as possible. I will eagerly wait for your kind reply.

Offline Tarak

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
Please read "Liver" instead of "Live". I had took 6-7 blood transfusion in a month before splenectomy surgery.

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:31:30 PM »
Hi tpraval and welcome to the site

Our member And friend Umair is the best example of how he was able to reduce his ferritin levels with the presence of HCV. He was in the 9000s levels and now and with compliance he was able to have completely normal levels and this for sure has a positive effect on HCV

You can read his wonderful experience in the link below

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,1689.0.html

Manal

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:16:54 AM »
Hepatitis 'C' cure coined "biggest breakthrough ever"
VideoImages

Reported by: Melissa Garcia Email: MelissaGarcia@woaitv.com

Print Story Published: 6/23 4:27 pm Share Updated: 6/24 7:14 am
SAN ANTONIO -- Researchers say it's the biggest breakthrough in Hepatitis C treatment ever made: A new medication just approved by the F.D.A. nearly doubles the cure rate, according to worldwide clinical trials.  Much of the groundbreaking research took place in San Antonio, at Alamo Medical Research.

The pharmaceutical drug "Incivek" started hitting pharmacies this week.  Clinical trials at Alamo Medical Research over the last six years show that eight out of ten Hepatitis C patients who took the medication were cured.

Walker Croft, a Hepatitis C patient spoke with News 4 WOAI about how sick he was before getting the treatment.

"I was dying," commented Croft.  "I felt like I was not going to live too much longer."

Croft contracted Hepatitis C from a blood transfusion in the 1970s.  And like most people who are infected, he went decades without even knowing he had it.

"It's much more common than people think it is," said Croft.  "And it kills you."

Thanks to the new medication, today Croft is cured.

"Incivek actually gets to the virus and stops it from replicating," explained Dr. Eric Lawitz, Medical Director at Alamo Medical Research.  Lawitz is a worldwide leader in Hepatitis C research and treatment.

The deadly virus attacks the liver.

"It's a slow, silent epidemic," said Lawitz.  "Over 20 or 30 years, it leads to progressive liver disease that results in cirrhosis, liver cancer, or liver failure."

Lawitz' findings show traditional Hepatitis C therapy, a combination of two medications, has a cure rate of 46%.  But the addition of the anti-viral drug Incivek raises that rate up to 79%.  For more than half of patients, the new drug also cuts the year-long, often unbearable treatment time in half.

"It's a one-two punch," said Lawitz.  "About eight out of ten patients get cured."

That's good news not only for Croft, but also for the estimated 35,000 people in San Antonio who have the disease.

"I was driving around with my daughter and she said, you know daddy, it's really good to have you back," said Croft.

Doctors say the key to therapy is diagnosis.  And the key to diagnosis is getting tested. 

Dr. Lawitz will hold a free Hepatitis C screening event:

Saturday, August 13th
8am - 12pm

Alamo Medical Research
621 Camden St.
Second Floor
San Antonio, TX 78215

Phone: 210-253-3426

http://www.woai.com/content/news/newslinks/story/Hepatitis-C-cure-coined-biggest-breakthrough-ever/3iC-oEPwgkusCuKes-m6GA.cspx

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 07:57:18 PM »
I really hope this drug works better than interferon and has less side effects.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Tarak

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »
Thank you very very much love and prayers for sharing this useful information with us especially with me because of I have been infected from this virus since year of 2007 and I hope it will be works better for me without any side-effects.

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 08:34:12 AM »
Best wishes always!

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »
This is such great news - so many people can benefit.  Thank you for sharing!
Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk