breast cancer metastasis to spine

• 20 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
breast cancer metastasis to spine
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
This question is not related to thalassemia but any guidance will be very helpful.  My husband's 41 year old cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer 2 years ago.  She did not complete her chemotherapy and declined surgery to have her breast removed.  In recent weeks she suffered severe back pain and nausea - a bone scan today revealed that the cancer has spread to her spine quite extensively.  The team of doctors claims that there is no further treatment.  I have read that survival after first metastasis to the spine can be 2 to 3 years - I am also considering contacting the mayo clinic to see if there is any new technique that can be utilized to help her. 

She is a single mother of a 13 year old girl - I am hoping and praying that there is some way to help her - that there may be hope....

Any guidance will be deeply appreciated,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: breast cancer metastasis to spine
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:38:38 AM »
My wife said that she should definitely contact Mayo Clinic. Bone cancer can't be cured but can be treated. The bigger danger lies in if it spreads to the organs, so urgency is needed if it is treatable. She should contact Mayo for an opinion and possible consultation ASAP.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 06:43:59 AM »
Andy,

Thank you so much for your response.  I will get more information about her status and contact the mayo clinic first thing tomorrow.  I am praying that there is hope.

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 05:24:06 PM »
Andy,

Thank you kindly for your help.  I have contacted the Mayo clinic - I have then passed on the information to the family.  They have requested all reports and diagnosis.  I hope that they will be able to help.  At this point all I can do is pray.

I will keep you posted,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
Sharmin, sending my prayers to your family  :hugfriend
Manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:37:08 AM »
Thanks Manal  :hugfriend
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:51:00 AM »
Oh Sharmin, wat erg!! You must be all devastaded. This is really bad. I hope and wish the Mayo clinic and this lady get in touch very soon and they will be able to help her. Stabilize her. . I am sending strength and love. <3

PS do you know by chance which type of bone cancer? I have widely contacts with the Sarcoma Ewing organisation (mainly USA, secondly Canada).

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Dore,

Thank you for your message.  I don't know the details.  So far it seems like it is confined to the bones.  We will know more this week.  It is breast cancer metastasis to the bones - but I don't know any more.  I pray that they contact the Mayo clinic, they seem to be leaning toward some hyperdose vitamin therapy - I don't think that will help at this stage - the Mayo clinic likely can.  Vitamin therapy is preventative and can be very helpful keeping cancer at bay in patients who are in remission but not in a situation like this. 

I will let you know when I know more - thank you so much Dore I would really appreciate your help,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 05:37:47 AM »
Thank you all for your advise and support.  A CT scan today revealed that the disease has progressed - it is in the liver, lungs as well and fluid was found around her heart.  The prognosis is not good at this point.  Her family was waiting for the results of the CT to contact the MAYO clinic.  At this point, I doubt that even the Mayo clinic has anything to offer her.  She is a very brave woman and has accepted what is happening, sadly she will be leaving behind a 13 year old girl.  I pray that the rest of us can be a source of support and strength for her. 

Thank you all once again,

love Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 02:12:43 AM »
I am so sorry Sharmin to hear such news. This disease is so cruel :(. I am praying that God will give you and her family all the strength to support and help her. Sending my prayers  :hugfriend
Manal

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
Thank you Manal  :hugfriend
Sharmin

Offline Dori

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
If it is Sarcoma (Ewing) contact MD Anderson in Texas..

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 05:10:15 AM »
Dori,

Thank you so much for the information.  I did call - but her condition has come to a point where her body has been 60% damaged and there is nothing left to do but to keep her comfortable. 

She does not have insurance, nor is her house mortgage insured.  We are working hard to wrap things for her such that her little girl is taken care of.  Her daughter has not attachment to her father and her aunts will do their best to raise her. 

I apologize for my absence - we are doing all we can in this situation.  I appreciate all the support from my friends here. 

Much love,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Madhavi

• Mohanish....a divine blessing!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 07:07:44 PM »
Hey Sharmin,

Hope all the creases are ironed out as smoothly as possible.
May you be blessed with all the strength and patience in this tough time...

My love goes out to your entire family...

Madhavi
Love and luck to all...

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2011, 09:56:09 PM »
Sharmin,

It's so sad. I wish the mom had followed through on her treatments. This is devastating for all involved. I hope things get worked out for the kids.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk