a few questions regarding thal

• 5 Replies
a few questions regarding thal
« on: July 22, 2011, 11:44:13 AM »
Hi everyone!
I just had some questions regarding things I have read on this forum...I hope you guys dont mind my beginners level questions  :-\

1.What is HPLC?

2. How often to thal intermedias get their hb checked?

3. What is resveratrol and is it prescription only or over the counter?

4. Any good sites for buying wheatgrass powder or juice? How much would you give a 3 yr old child?

Thanks so much for everyone's help!! much appreciated! :hugfriend

Re: a few questions regarding thal
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 05:45:00 PM »
And also, I read wheatgrass is a good source of iron. Arent we supposed to avoid iron?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2011, 06:07:20 PM »
Wheatgrass is not worrisome regarding iron. I have just this past week posted a long discussion on wheatgrass on our Facebook thalpal group. I have reprinted that post here at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4103.msg40760.html#msg40760
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 07:08:48 PM »
thanks andy! will definitely check out your fb group!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 06:14:11 PM »
HPLC is high-performance liquid chromatography, which in this context is used for the same purpose of hemoglobin electrophoresis, to determine the percentages of the various types of hemoglobin.
Intermedia thals vary greatly, so hemoglobin monitoring will also vary greatly. If the Hb is borderline and transfusions may be considered, monthly checks of Hb would be appropriate.
Resveratrol is a naturally occurring substance found in red grapes and other plants. It is the subject of much study into its use in many conditions. In the context of thalassemia, its ability to raise hemoglobin levels is of great interest.
For a young child, I prefer the wheatgrass supershots, as they are so easy for a child to take. Check http://www.drwheatgrass.com/wheretobuy/outside_aust/default.htm for ordering.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
Thanks Andy, I placed my order for the supershots..will try it out!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk