Dosage for desferal

• 1 Replies

Offline qys81

Dosage for desferal
« on: July 31, 2011, 11:38:22 AM »
Could anyone give me some advice on dosage for desferal. I know that is the doctor's job. But, in my country, patients normally from some region, so only doctors from those region have experience on thals. The boy from another place, very far from those hospitals. Please please just give some advice, the mother will dicuss your advice with doctor.

As I said before, the boy's ferritin is above 2000, today, I found out the max number the hospital's machine can work out is 2000. That means the mother does not know how much is it for sure, maybe 2001, or maybe 5000.

The doctor's advice is to use desferal 0.5g + 5ML water on a pump, the pump's speed 3, takes 10.5hours, if switch to speed 4, it takes 14hours, they should begin from 5pm, the boy go to school 7 every morning, the boy refuse to do that . The doctor said the ideal ferritin is under 1000, and the doctor ask the boy to take desferal every the other day. (15days a month). I know it should be under 500.

Could any one tell me is 0.5g desferal a day, 15days a month is enough for the boy (3 year old)?

Thank you all for your help, best wishes for all of you.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Dosage for desferal
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 04:55:20 PM »
The dosage of .5 g per session is fine. I think he needs more sessions per month. 4-5 nights weekly minimum. They should try 4 times weekly (20 times per month). As he gets a bit older, this should be changed to 5 times per week depending on ferritin levels.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk