Thal minor with dehydration

• 2 Replies
Thal minor with dehydration
« on: August 02, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »
Hello fellow Thal minors:) So excited to finally have some sort of support group in relation to this mysterious condition. I have never met anyone else with thalassemia minor or major (except of course my mum who passed it on to me!) so it's nice to know im not alone! I was wondering, does any one else suffer from chronic dehydration?? I have suffered it all my life and have been told it is because my cells aren't strong enough to hold sufficient fluid. It kind of makes sense, seeing that our cells aren't very stable. I have been taking natural sea salt to help the water go into my cells, it is the only thing that seems to hydrate me. Otherwise it just runs straight through me. (I have been tested for every other disease relating to dehydration eg. diabetes, kidney disorders). Anyway its not a very good long term solution, so I guess the other option is to just focus on building cell strength. I am already on Vitamin C, B12, magnesium and occasionally folate. Also fish oil to help decrease blood coagulation.
Any other advice would be appreciated:)

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thal minor with dehydration
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 12:36:54 AM »
I have heard reports from thal minors about dehydration, but I also suffer from it and am not a thal carrier. I don't know if there is a connection or if it's coincidence. I too find a need for salt to keep from getting dehydrated. I've used sea salt for many years, so I wouldn't be able to say if it necessarily has to be sea salt, although sea salt also does contain trace minerals and this may be part of what the body needs to stay hydrated properly.

I would suggest adding natural vitamin E to your regimen and taking no less than 500 mg of C daily.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Thal minor with dehydration
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:51:02 AM »
Thanks Andy, I was surprised that you don't have thalassemia as you seem to know so much about it! Will definitely get on the vitamin E:) Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk