Hello...

• 3 Replies

Offline Nadine.C

Hello...
« on: August 10, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Hello there,
I just joined this forum and I am glad I finally found people who understand what I go through everyday. I am 31 and I have been living with Thal Minor not knowing that most of the symptoms I have are due to it. It's just so weird how ignorant doctors are about it and how careless they are. I have been visiting all kinds of doctors,doing all kinds of blood tests. they would just dismiss the fact that I have Thal Minor and start improvising.people around me always complain from me being continuously tired, they even blame me for that saying it's all in my head.
The symptoms have grown upon me and affect me on a day to day basis.. I have a general feeling of being ill, and fatigue is killing me.
I am just glad I finally found you guys...i want to hug you all... bighug:

Offline laiba mukhtar

• lake saif ul maluk......luv it
Re: Hello...
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:49 PM »
hi!
nadine... :welcome2
thanks
laiba

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 03:16:36 AM »
Hi Nadine,

As you've noted, your MCV and MCH both are in the range of beta thal minor. They are not close to the range for other anemias. If you carry beta minor, one of your parents is a carrier. Do you have any of the other results from your complete blood count, like Hb or hematocrit, RDW, and RBC count? Have you ever had a hemoglobin electrophoresis test done? This gives percentages of the various types of hemoglobin found and is useful in diagnosing thal minor.

Beta thalassemia is a genetic condition and in minors one of the two genes is affected. This cannot be caused by any outside force. It is only caused by a gene you got from one of your parents. This is the only way beta thal can occur. There is an alpha thalassemia that can be caused by exposure to certain chemicals, but that does not appear to have any relevance here.

Your diet is very important to your health though, when you carry thal. The better your diet, the better you will feel. Thal minor causes a need for extra nutrients like vitamin E, folic acid, B vitamins and others, so you need to make sure you get plenty of vitamins and minerals from fruits and vegetables and take supplements where necessary. Vitamin D is most important, as it affects everyone and not just thals. Unless one gets regular exposure to sunshine, vitamin D deficiency can easily occur. I suggest that anyone who is tired and fatigued have their D level checked. It needs to be at least 35.

I'm trying to answer your various questions in this one post. When you go to the mountains, the altitude causes your blood to thin and it makes it more difficult for your body to supply sufficient oxygen. After about 3 weeks at that altitude, the Hb will start to climb, but if you are there for just a short time, you will find you tire very easily.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Nadine.C

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:51 AM »
Thank You Laiba, thank you Andy,
Regarding my blood tests results i will list them below:
WBC 6600/cu.mm
RBC  5.92 mil/mm3
hemoglobin  12.3 g/dl
hematocrit   39
I have had a hemoglobim electrophoresis test before, however I will check the result as I don't have it on me.

the issue is that I feel so tired and I think the weather is making it worse. It's is reall hot and humidity level is veerryy high. I can barely wake up in the morning and I am always feeling dizzy. I have two kids and I don't have the energy to look after them and this is kllking me. and you know what, It's all in my head :)
Thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk