Black Lines

• 5 Replies

Offline Manal

• mother of thal intermedia child
Black Lines
« on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:10 PM »
Hope u are all fine

When you have short, thin black lines on your nails,  What does this indicate?
Anybody knows ?
Thanks
Manal

Offline Yenny

Re: Black Lines
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:14:25 AM »
Hi... :wave Manal, do you have a check on the ferritin level yet?
I notice my skin tone do get darker when the ferritin level is too high, it might the same for this case.
I'm not really sure, but might because the iron overload?? :dunno or else?

Offline Manal

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:04:04 AM »
Hi Yenny
Thanks for the replay.
These lines are on my nails , not my son. I am thal minor with no single symptoms except anemia as my HB is 9 and i am iron deficient

Thanks again
Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 12:02:14 AM »
Manal, are you aware of any heart problems?  Sometimes black lines on the nails can indicate that.  Most of the time it's nothing serious, but if you suspect any trouble with your heart, I'd get it checked out.

I would suggest you see your doctor anyway if you are concerned.  Which way are the lines going?  Vertically (up/down) or horizontally (across)?  Are they thin or thick lines?  Do they look like splinters?

Do you work with your hands a lot?  Sometimes when there is some kind of trauma to the nail bed you can get these lines as well.  In that case, it's just a broken capillary.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2006, 12:21:11 AM by Danielle »

Offline Manal

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 12:26:04 AM »
Hello Danielle

Thanks for your replay.

The lines are vertical and very thin and short. They appeared in two fingers on the nails.  I had this happened to me a couple of years ago, i don't remember exactly. I sometimes have fast heart beats but i guess this is a result of anemia,isn't it?
What test should i do? By the way my blood pressure is normal ,but somtimes it is low when i have migrans

Manal

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 12:49:15 AM »
You are very welcome, Manal.   :hug

The lines you are describing are called Splinter Hemorrhages.  They can be tiny vessels that have been traumatized, or there can be an underlying heart problem.  The fast heart beats can definitely (and most-likely are) related to the anemia, but I'd suggest you see a doctor anyway if you are not aware of any recent trauma to your hands/fingers/nails.

If you see your doctor, he/she will recommend what tests may reveal the problem, if there is one.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk