Asunra/Exjade

• 15 Replies

Offline Danielle

• Beta Thal Major
Asunra/Exjade
« on: August 23, 2011, 03:45:23 AM »
Are they the exact same drug, just under different names? I'm a little confused. :huh

~Danielle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Offline Tarak

Re: Asunra/Exjade
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:10:30 AM »
My Dear Danielle,
Yes, They are same exact drugs just under the different brand names. They contain same exact ingredient of deferasirox and even from same company of Novartis Pharma Co. Ltd. but just only difference is that Asunra has been selling under the doses of 100mg and 400mg but Exjade has been selling under the doses of 125mg, 250mg and 500mg. So don't be confused and enjoy your life.

Thank you.

Tarak

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
Add desirox made by Cipla to that mix. There is even an Iranian version called Osveral. All the same drug.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Tarak

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 04:48:54 PM »
Honourable and Respected Andysir,
                              I was almost forgot them. Thank you for remember them to me.

Thank You.

Tarak.

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 09:40:26 AM »
sorry Andy I forgot under which topic i was asking questions n lost the flow....actually i read somewhere recently that u advised to take asunra medicine not all at once in a day but twice or thrice. As discussed earlier I have started 200mg for my son so shall i give him 100mg in morning n 100mg in evening....n should i give in juice which is rich in vitamin C or water ...what ll work best......n should vitamin C like lime , sweet orange be avoided for thal as it helps to absorb iron ...

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 04:17:13 PM »
I feel that it's best for thal majors to take citrus as a snack between meals. If taken with meals, the meal should be low iron. And yes, if there are side effects from Asunra (Exjade) splitting the dose and taking twice daily can reduce those. It also does give a true 24 chelation period by using this method. (I really wish Novartis would get on board with this recommendation and forget their marketing department's belief that once daily is some magical notion to patients).
Andy

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 03:35:38 AM »
Thank you Andy...I cannot see any side efects till now (taking medicine from 3 months ) but ll still give twice a day once in morning the other in afternoon or evening to help in complete  chelation. N regarding vitamin C....I was avaoiding alll these days  but as per your recommendation ll give him in between meals...Thank you

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 07:04:02 AM »
Hi Andy n all,

I just got my son's ferritin test done yesterday....its 2142 and before 2.5 months it was around 2300 so not much of improvement . I am giving him 300mg that it 200mg in afternoon n 100mg at night before bed milk. his weight is 13 k. Doctor had asked to increase to 400mg. What do you advise should I increase the dose or its fine.

And another question my son doesnt eat anything properly especially 2 weeks before transfusion time is it something related to low hemoglobin or something else. and is there any extra nutrition available in market so that we can mix in milk and give as the ones generally available like horlicks bournvita have iron content.

Please advise. Thank you

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:02:46 PM »
Yes, at 13 kg the dose should be at least 400 mg daily. 30 mg/kg. I have heard that often about the appetite of thals decreasing as it gets closer to transfusion time. Can other members please advise on how to increase appetite? Members need to contribute more, especially to these day to day issues that I have no experience with. Please help out more. Your fellow members need all the help they can get.
Andy

Offline maha

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2011, 06:04:35 AM »
Hi Binita
My son has been on 30mg/kg dose from the time he started chelation, so its absolutely fine to increase it. What is your son's pre tx hb, if its between 9.5-10, it shouldn't affect his activity or appetite. Whenever my son's appetite starts playing down I give him 5 small meals instead of the usual 3 meals. Also I try to hide in extra food in his usual meal. For instance he likes his omelette, so I will slip in a slice of cheese in between and he hardly notices it. As for increasing appetite you could try B-complex. I give my son B - vitamins almost regularly. The only non iron drink available here is nesquick, but it doesn't have any extra nutrition other than calcium, I mix a spoon of ginseng honey in his milk, earlier I felt it increased his immunity and now its just become a habit. Try experimenting with food. As such Hassan doesn't like pancakes, but if I make it in a shape of a teddy he does finish it.

maha

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 06:02:40 AM »
Thank you Andy and Maha.

we maintain his Hb till 9.5. And we will increase the medicine to 400mg. and I ll try out the small meals with him now but he doesnt open his mouth for a single bite unless its a junk food which i feel doesnt give any nutrition. But as per your advice Maha I will try again n not give up and ll give him B complex as well.Thank you.

Offline surendra

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 12:55:15 PM »
hello  friends,
my daughter is 25 months old and weight is 12 kg. We started asunra since last three weeks. first two weeks we gave her half dose(100 mg morning and evening each) and since last week we are giving her 400mg asunra. Now she is not eating properly and she has loose motion from past three days. She is not active as she is. what should I do that she can eat food??????????? ??? ??? ???

Offline adeel

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »
hi surendra
well i think increase the dose of asunra might effect on her stomach thats the reason of loose motion so u should reduce the dose of asunra and slowly increase it and also try spliting the dose u also experiment with giving asunra with meals or after meals i am also  giving asunra to my daughter after meals and for increasing appetite u might give her some multivitamin without iron it will improve her appetite but first of all u have to treat her loose motion once it control everything will be ok and one thing also u might give her some zinc supplement hope it helps
best regards
adeel

Offline surendra

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 01:49:42 PM »
Thanks adeel

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 01:56:47 PM »
Hi dear,

Asunra and Exjade are same. Exjade is the main name and its known as Asunra in India. Its one and the same, by Novartis only.

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk