• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    July 08, 2020, 05:40:12 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal Ā© A. Battaglia 2019

55318 Posts in 5912 Topics by 6215 Members
Latest Member: conradj

We love you, Lisa.
May you Rest in Peace,
knowing that your legacy lives on,
right here, and through all of us.
You're forever in our hearts.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: thal major and tooth extraction  (Read 8246 times)
shaziya

« on: September 29, 2011, 07:01:01 AM »

assalamu alaikum and hello to all.
HI ANDY
                       how r u all doing?it seems ages since i last logged in or posted something. the v few times that i hav been able to log in by the time i read a few recent posts something or the other comes up and i hav to shut down and run.
                       can anyone advice me about extractin teeth. my wisdom tooth is bad and the drs hav told that i HAVE to extract it. but i dont know wut to do? the dr here has not dealt with any thalassaemics so he told me to do some reports and come. i will show those 2morrow 2 him. i was asked to do a A.P.T.T./BT+ CT./ PT./TT/ FBC.
                             meanwhile i want to ask if there is anything in particular that i should do bfor going for xtraction since i am a thal major? since it is a wisdom tooth i am more worried. r there any previous topics on tooth xtractions? i would really appreciate any advice that any of u could give me.
thank u
shaziya
Algol

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 07:39:45 AM »

Hi Shaziya,

there shouldn't be any concern about teeth extractions, I believe.
I had three teeth extracted (weird enough, I had 35 teeth sometime ago!)
and I got a bit of a higher temperature at the first extraction, but I was told
that it can be frequent if the body was weak at the time.

You'll be fine with that.
Good luck

p.s. You must have your tooth already extracted by now. Just noticed it...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 07:44:51 AM by Algol » Logged
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:40:37 AM »

If there is any concern about infection, antibiotics can be started in advance of dental work for thal majors.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
shaziya

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 06:19:37 AM »

HI ANDY AND ALGOL
Thank you so much for replying. it is a big relief to know that there is no problem in extracting.  actually i hav not extracted yet.  i went to the dr with my reports who sent me to another dr in turn. the other dr told me to cum 2 weeks after transfusion and to take some antibiotic (which he has written and given) i hour bfore extracting as i have no spleen. so i went for transfusion this monday and we thought of going for xtaction next saturday 29th hopefully.

i am trying to drag it out as much as i can since i am v scared. bcoz since the last few years i dont know why but i faint and fall when i get some sudden pain. its as if i cant bear pain. so i am scared what if i faint while all those tools are in my mouth. i hav heard  a few scary  stories of extracting wisdom teeth by some people who r normal. then wut happens to  those of us who r thalassaemic? that is why i thought i will get some advice from u friends n see about extracting. even though i hav had my share of surgeries, i was unconcious during them. for this i will be concious and aware of all that they do. so i hope i dont faint.

thank u so much for ur replies. it really means a lot to me. u dont know how much i appreciate it. hope i did not bore u with my fears. thanks once again. i will let u know what happens.
shaziya
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 08:30:06 PM »

Shaziya, definitely take the antibiotic before the dentist starts.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Algol

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 05:34:56 AM »

Dentists are scaring... you get accustomed to hospitals, but you'll always fear dentists.
I don't know why... and I also haven't had bad experiences with them, since they were
always very professional. I guess it is because you feel harmless when your mouth is kept
open somebody has to work in it!

You'll be alright, don't worry.
And generally it isn't painful during the extraction,
it can get after the anesthetic has gone.

I experienced a bit of headache after my extractions.

Good luck
shaziya

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 02:43:36 AM »

HI ANDY
Thanks a lot for ur advice. i will be sure to take the antibiotic.
 i also found a topic in this site abt living with thalassaemia last time i was online.  a book written by some drs and Andy u hav downloaded it in in this site. i really found it informative. thank u so much Andy for it.

HI ALGOL
thank u. i guess ur right. thanks for ur wishes

Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: