thal major and tooth extraction

• 6 Replies
thal major and tooth extraction
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »
assalamu alaikum and hello to all.
HI ANDY
                       how r u all doing?it seems ages since i last logged in or posted something. the v few times that i hav been able to log in by the time i read a few recent posts something or the other comes up and i hav to shut down and run.
                       can anyone advice me about extractin teeth. my wisdom tooth is bad and the drs hav told that i HAVE to extract it. but i dont know wut to do? the dr here has not dealt with any thalassaemics so he told me to do some reports and come. i will show those 2morrow 2 him. i was asked to do a A.P.T.T./BT+ CT./ PT./TT/ FBC.
                             meanwhile i want to ask if there is anything in particular that i should do bfor going for xtraction since i am a thal major? since it is a wisdom tooth i am more worried. r there any previous topics on tooth xtractions? i would really appreciate any advice that any of u could give me.
thank u
shaziya

Offline Algol

Re: thal major and tooth extraction
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:39:45 PM »
Hi Shaziya,

there shouldn't be any concern about teeth extractions, I believe.
I had three teeth extracted (weird enough, I had 35 teeth sometime ago!)
and I got a bit of a higher temperature at the first extraction, but I was told
that it can be frequent if the body was weak at the time.

You'll be fine with that.
Good luck :)

p.s. You must have your tooth already extracted by now. Just noticed it...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:44:51 PM by Algol »

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
If there is any concern about infection, antibiotics can be started in advance of dental work for thal majors.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:19:37 AM »
HI ANDY AND ALGOL
Thank you so much for replying. it is a big relief to know that there is no problem in extracting.  actually i hav not extracted yet.  i went to the dr with my reports who sent me to another dr in turn. the other dr told me to cum 2 weeks after transfusion and to take some antibiotic (which he has written and given) i hour bfore extracting as i have no spleen. so i went for transfusion this monday and we thought of going for xtaction next saturday 29th hopefully.

i am trying to drag it out as much as i can since i am v scared. bcoz since the last few years i dont know why but i faint and fall when i get some sudden pain. its as if i cant bear pain. so i am scared what if i faint while all those tools are in my mouth. i hav heard  a few scary  stories of extracting wisdom teeth by some people who r normal. then wut happens to  those of us who r thalassaemic? that is why i thought i will get some advice from u friends n see about extracting. even though i hav had my share of surgeries, i was unconcious during them. for this i will be concious and aware of all that they do. so i hope i dont faint.

thank u so much for ur replies. it really means a lot to me. u dont know how much i appreciate it. hope i did not bore u with my fears. thanks once again. i will let u know what happens.
shaziya

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:30:06 AM »
Shaziya, definitely take the antibiotic before the dentist starts.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Algol

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 10:34:56 AM »
Dentists are scaring... you get accustomed to hospitals, but you'll always fear dentists.
I don't know why... and I also haven't had bad experiences with them, since they were
always very professional. I guess it is because you feel harmless when your mouth is kept
open somebody has to work in it!

You'll be alright, don't worry. :)
And generally it isn't painful during the extraction,
it can get after the anesthetic has gone.

I experienced a bit of headache after my extractions.

Good luck

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 07:43:36 AM »
 HI ANDY
Thanks a lot for ur advice. i will be sure to take the antibiotic.
 i also found a topic in this site abt living with thalassaemia last time i was online.  a book written by some drs and Andy u hav downloaded it in in this site. i really found it informative. thank u so much Andy for it.

HI ALGOL
thank u. i guess ur right. thanks for ur wishes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk