Croup

• 1 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Croup
« on: November 12, 2011, 05:17:29 PM »
I have a question pertaining to croup.  I was talking to a family having 3 children (cousins living in the same house) - one confirmed thal minor - but he is very healthy and has no symptoms of thalassemia at this time.  All three children are sick, but one has developed croup.  

My understanding of croup is that it is a secondary illness that can result from a multitude of viruses and in rare cases bacteria.  I understand that viruses that affect
the upper respiratory system can lead to croup in some children.  Such a virus can cause croup in one child - but not in another.  For that reason, the croup is not necessarily contagious but the underlying cold is (much like an ear infection).  Therefore a child having croup can infect another child with a cold - which may or may not produce croup in another child.  

Some websites actually say that croup is contagious in itself - Andy would you help me clarify this?  I have advised a lot of handwashing, perhaps keeping the children apart for a few days - washing shared toys etc.  
Many thanks,

Sharmin
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Croup
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 08:09:05 PM »
Sharmin,

You are correct. Croup is a symptom but not a disease. However, where croup is present, some illness like a cold or flu is present so all the same precautions about washing hands etc still apply, especially being vigilant about not handling toys or other objects that might be contaminated by coughing. An overview of croup can be seen at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/croup/DS00312
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk