23 Weeks pregnant , detected with Thalassemia trait yesterday

• 2 Replies
23 Weeks pregnant , detected with Thalassemia trait yesterday
« on: February 10, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
Hi,

I have been tested with Thalassemia trait. My Electrophoresis report says Haemoglobin (Adult) 94.1% and Haemoglobin (Foetal) 0.3%.
HB A2 as 5.6% and Vitamin B12 as 66.4 pg/ml.

I am 23 weeks pregnant with my first child. We have been asked to do electrophoresis test for my husband.
The results are expected by tomm. I am a vegetarian.

Having gone through the content on internet as well as this site, my question might sound really basic. However, i have the following 3 questions:
1. What are the implications of the report?
2. What diet/medicines should i follow?
3. What should be our further tests/course of action?

Looking forward to your informative responses and Andy's insight.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: 23 Weeks pregnant , detected with Thalassemia trait yesterday
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:45:07 PM »
Hi saki2011,

Do you know what your current Hb level is?

The implications of your own report is that beta thal minor is likely, based on the HbA2 level. Testing your husband is necessary to determine if he is also a thal carrier. If he is also a beta thal carrier, there would be a 25% chance that each pregnancy would result in thal major, so ruling this out is important.
Your B-12 is quite low, and as a fellow vegetarian, I suggest you supplement with a B complex and B-12. I use a B complex 100 daily.
During pregnancy, you should be taking a large dose of folic acid, from 2-5 mg daily. A natural vitamin E complex of 400 IU daily is also quite important, especially for thal pregnancies.
Outside of the electrophoresis for your husband, you should have your Hb level followed throughout the pregnancy. If there is any history of clotting issues for you or in your family, you should also be monitored for thrombosis during the pregnancy.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Narendra

Re: 23 Weeks pregnant , detected with Thalassemia trait yesterday
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:59:50 PM »
It would also be helpful if you go through the posts for Thal Minor). You can view the posts here : http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3041.0.html

There is a lot of posts so just start by reading the one's that are more related to you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk