How much folic acid is enough for a 6 yr old thal minor girl ?

• 3 Replies

Offline Kiya

How much folic acid is enough for a 6 yr old thal minor girl ?
« on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:38 PM »
Hi,

My daughter is a B - thal minor. One year back, she was diagnosed with iron deficiency aneamia with hb 7.6 (normal range >12)and iron serum at 10 (normal range >50). Now, she has improved on iron levels completely with current results in the range 100+ and hb of 9.0.

she is energetic and no issues otherwise, but i feel hb should increase a little more. Her doctor has prescribed folic acid and she has been taking folic acid 5 mg twice a week.

Is this dosage fine or i should change it so that she might be able to get little more help with hb. Please note that she has not taken iron supplementation and we have completely got this with diet alone.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kiya

Offline Kiya

Re: How much folic acid is enough for a 6 yr old thal minor girl ?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Hi,

Can someone please help me with this one?

Thanks a ton.

Kiya

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 06:06:37 PM »
The dosage is very good for her age. I am actually surprised a doctor prescribed a dose that is considered to be high by many. I do not feel that it is high at all, as it is essential for building red blood cells. I would also suggest a B complex and a magnesium supplement, as both are essential for building and maintaining the health of RBCs.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Kiya

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 12:42:41 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks a ton for your suggestions. Regarding b-complex and magnesium supplementation, i looked at her diet and found out that sesame oil and almonds are part of her daily diet (these 2 being rich in magnesium other than vegetable sources). Also, she takes good fruits and vegetable diet along with eggs (5 per week) and chicken and goat kidneys once a week and of course lots of greens.

The reason for avoiding supplementation is that she is also a celiac and finding a GF supplement in India is next to impossible. The medicine companies here are not able to share correct information about ingredients. Will continue with folic acid as the medicine company was able to confirm its ingredients.

If you still feel that we should look at supplementation, i can give a shot at searching a GF supplement.

Thanks again.
Kiya

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk