Practical experince of taking Exjade with meals.

• 29 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Practical experince of taking Exjade with meals.
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:03 PM »
Hi Komal,

Take each dose about 30 minutes before a meal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 09:32:09 AM »
Hi Andy,
How about taking Asunra 1-1.5 hour(s) after the meals with juice?? Kindly advice.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
It is advised that Asunra be taken on an empty stomach. I would suggest waiting 3 hours after a meal before taking if you don't take it before eating.
Andy

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2012, 06:43:22 AM »
Thanks Andy for your reply, will try this out.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
Komal,

When splitting the dose, take half a dose in the morning at least 30 minutes before eating. Take the other half later in the day on an empty stomach and wait at least 30 minutes before eating. Most find the drug easier to tolerate when the dose is split.
Andy

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2012, 04:56:09 PM »
For last 6 months, we do not wait take exjade on emptu stomach....My daughter generally finishes dinner and after 15 mintes, takes exjade w/ water. Her ferritin is between 300 to 600. so, I feel, empty stomach requirement is not needed anymore. I think there was also a food study w/ exjade and that also didnot find anything significant.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2012, 03:14:42 AM »
just wondering, what is the advantage of taking it with food? does it help absorption or change it's effects? also what's the benefit of splitting the dose?

i'm normally just taking it with water 30 minutes before my breakfast and that's it for the day...

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
Why split the dose? Many patients experience nausea with Exjade. In fact, this is the top reason people quit the drug. Splitting the dose minimizes the nausea. Some find taking it with food also reduces the nausea. It also has resulted in patients having lower liver function test scores. And unlike with once a day, splitting the dose gives a true 24 hour coverage. Once per day does not.
Andy

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 03:56:59 AM »
Why split the dose? Many patients experience nausea with Exjade. In fact, this is the top reason people quit the drug. Splitting the dose minimizes the nausea. Some find taking it with food also reduces the nausea. It also has resulted in patients having lower liver function test scores. And unlike with once a day, splitting the dose gives a true 24 hour coverage. Once per day does not.

Thanks Andy. Luckily I haven't had many problems with nausea. I just went for bloodwork on Friday so I'll see what my levels are and then try the split dose technique until the next test.

Offline JV

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
Hello all...my daughter recently started Exjade. She hasn't taken it with water because she wont drink it so we went the food route. We have been crushing it on mixing it with Waffles, Pancakes, yogurt, and oatmeal. We are also splitting the dose, 1 125 mg in the morning and 1 at night, thanks to the recommendations of this board and Andy! It seems to be working and my daughter who is 2 has only really complained about her stomach hurting sometimes. My question for the board is what other foods have any of you used that use food and what are some ways you been delivering / masking it?

Offline JV

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 03:06:53 AM »
Anybody? What kinds of foods is everybody mixing with Exjade?

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »
Anything that is soft or liquid like curry or something. Or any food it blends well with and that is enjoyable by your daughter. :)

The main thing is the tablet should go inside the body, as long as that continues to happen, you're fine.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2012, 09:44:31 AM »
I have some questions abt chelation tablets

1. why is it required to take chelation tablets empty stomach?
2. why shd the tablets be dispersed in juice/water for consumption. do the tablets have weaker effect on chelation when consumed whole?

regards,
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 01:01:58 PM »
The tablets should be crushed and mixed with either liquids or soft foods. Taking the tablets whole will cause more stomach distress and also will not give you the same chelation value. Some here say that they have noticed no difference in chelation value when taken with meals, but one study said there is a difference. At thalpal, our members have pioneered the split dose method and it has worked out well. Take half the dose in the morn and half later in the day. This reduces the stomach discomfort and makes chelation easier on the patient.
Andy

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2013, 11:47:09 PM »
I never knew you could crush tablets or mix with food. Thats what the labels say from the pharmacy. I agree with the split doses being easier on the body. However, the drug is just plain nasty!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk