Which tests?

• 9 Replies

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Which tests?
« on: April 27, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »
Although my dad might be knowing, I want to know personally so I can hook up with them right away after my exams ends.

What are the exact name for below tests?:

1. For knowing level of iron in heart.
2. For knowing level of iron in liver.
3. For knowing level of iron in kidney (if there is one for Kidney, I am not sure.).

Any other tests you can recommend as well for seeing the deposition of iron?

Thanks.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Which tests?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 02:14:51 PM »
The test for heart iron is called a T2*. The liver tests are liver MRI, Ferriscan or liver T2*. Liver biopsy is no longer done in most cases. There is no routine test for kidney iron. Ferritin tests alone are misleading, so the scans are essential and since there is no relation between heart and liver iron levels, both are required.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Thanks for the information Andy. Indeed, you are great boon to us. Cheers.
Every child is special.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 06:19:12 PM »
Hi Andy,

How often shold we get these test for iron level in heart and liver done. My son is 3yrs and he has transfusion every 6 weeks from the age of 9 mnths. His iron level was never decreasing until his last mnth test when the ferritin decreased from 2500 to 1650 and we were very happy with the report.

Please let me know about the other test to be done so that we get to know if everything else also is going fine. I am giving him 400mg Asunra everyday . He weighs 12.5 kg.  I AM BIT WORRIED IF THIS HIGH DOSE CAN BE HARMFUL FOR HIM.Any test to confirm that...............

Thank you so much Andy.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
The dose is correct. Although 30 mg/kg is the recommended dose, 32.6 mg/kg has been shown to be the ideal dose and this dose is perfect.
Andy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:44:52 AM »
How often shold we get these test for iron level in heart and liver done. My son is 3yrs and he has transfusion every 6 weeks from the age of 9 mnths. His iron level was never decreasing until his last mnth test when the ferritin decreased from 2500 to 1650 and we were very happy with the report.

This is an annual (yearly) test.

You can contact Eileen Scott at Cooley's Anemia Foundation and request a copy (or two) of the 2012 Standards of Care for Thalassemia Patients. (Recently published by Oakland and not available yet online.) In the back is a timeframe for all tests that should be routinely done.

Nicole
Nicoler

My son, adopted from China at age 3 in April 2010, has beta thalassemia major.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 02:36:50 AM »
I can't wait to see the new guidelines.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 05:30:14 AM »
Hi Andy,

I would like to ask again. Which tests out of Heart & liver's iron overload are X-ray/MRI based? Liver's? And what about heart's iron levels, is it measured through blood (done in path labs) or any other way?

-Pratik.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »
Measurement of liver and heart iron is done using MRI. MRI has replaced liver biopsy, eliminating all risk. Specific methods include Ferriscan for the liver (and for the heart in limited areas), and T2* for the heart. These are essential tests, because ferritin tells you nothing about your organ iron load. Both liver and heart should be tested because there is no correlation between iron load in the two organs. Ideally, they should be done annually. The scans are very important tools in the proper management of thalassemia.
Andy

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 06:08:22 AM »
Oh, I did not saw this reply of yours. Thanks Andy. So both are MRI based scans, correct?
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk