Facebook Thalassemia Groups

• 5 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Facebook Thalassemia Groups
« on: June 17, 2012, 04:02:15 PM »
Hi Wendy,

In addition to this site, we have a web presence on Facebook. Our thalpal group can be found at https://www.facebook.com/groups/78504283219/
I also administer the thalassemia support group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/thalsupport/
At that group, a question is currently posed about dealing with claustrophobia during an MRI for ferriscan. Can you give any tips on how to deal with this very real problem many people face? I invite you to join both groups.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Answers4N

Re: Facebook Thalassemia Groups
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:26:46 PM »
I have never had an MRI done for ferriscan, so maybe I am not the best person to reply, but I have had a CT Scan done that involved my head and neck. I didn't think I was claustrophobic, but once your in there it is a bit nerve wracking (especially with the noises the machine makes). I don't know if all places do this, but the hospital I was seen at had a mirror attached to the machine, and recommended looking at it to see out if the patient starts feeling closed in. I glanced at it once on my way in and thought it wouldn't help me, lol.

Best advice I can give - close your eyes, before you even go in, CLOSE YOUR EYES! If you do not see the walls of the machine around you I think it makes a big difference. Close your eyes before they start moving the table and then keep them closed until they take you out. I think there is great power in what we can see, I realize not everyone is this way and just the thought might be too much, for me closing my eyes got me through it easy peasy! Also if the noise bugs you (and it probably will at some point even with earplugs in) pretend your at a construction site, also easier to do with your eyes closed, lol.

Best wishes!

Offline Lena

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
 Close your eyes and think of something that makes you happy: your next vacation, your loved ones, your scheduled program and appointments, a day out with a friend, whatever makes you happy. It is a matter of controlling yourself.
Of course, I am not a claustrophobic and maybe that is why it is easy for me. In severe cases, I have heard tranquilisers are administered before the test.

Offline Bobby

Re: Re: Facebook Thalassemia Groups
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:23 PM »
I find that machine totally calming. I just wish I could carry my music in there with me.

Just focus on what calms you the most and close your eyes.

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 01:11:48 AM »
Hi
Generally the techs in the Radiology Departments will have had lots of experience with people who get claustrophobia in the scanners and can help people keep calm and provide them with some strategies to take their minds off it. Some of the modern hospitals have a variety of media available to divert patients' attention away from their surroundings.
The best thing I can suggest is just to talk to the people there about your concerns and ask for their suggestions.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:33:08 AM »
I know this lol. When back in April 2009, when I had MRI scan done for my legs, while going in I was a little claustrophobic and scared and felt as if I could not breath inside. Then after a while, it felt a bit better and I just closed my eyes till I came out.

Now that I am going to get a T2 and liver function ferriscan done again soon, I shall see how I respond to it, again.  :biggrin
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk