Blood Safety in the U.S.

• 0 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Blood Safety in the U.S.
« on: October 08, 2006, 11:22:18 PM »
From http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/qa15.htm

How safe is the blood supply in the United States?

The U.S. blood supply is among the safest in the world. Nearly all people infected with HIV through blood transfusions received those transfusions before 1985, the year HIV testing began for all donated blood.

The Public Health Service has recommended an approach to blood safety in the United States that includes stringent donor selection practices and the use of screening tests. U.S. blood donations have been screened for antibodies to HIV-1 since March 1985 and HIV-2 since June 1992. The p24 Antigen test was added in 1996. Blood and blood products that test positive for HIV are safely discarded and are not used for transfusions.

Tests Performed on Each Unit of Donated Blood* (Source: American Red Cross)
Disease    Test    Year Implemented
HIV/AIDS    HIV/AIDS HIV- I Antibody test    1985
HIV-1/2 Antibody test    1992
HIV-I p24 Antigen test    1996
HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis C    Nucleic Acid Test (NAT)    1999
Hepatitis C    Hepatitis C Anti-HCV    1990
Hepatitis B    Hepatitis B Surface Antigen test    1971
Hepatitis B Core Antibody    1987
Hepatitis    Hepatitis ALT    1986
Syphilis    Syphilis Serologic test    1948
Human T-cell Lymphotropic Virus (HTLV)    HTLV-I Antibody    1989
HTLV -I/II Antibody    1998

The improvement of processing methods for blood products also has reduced the number of infections resulting from the use of these products.

Currently, the risk of infection with HIV in the United States through receiving a blood transfusion or blood products is extremely low and has become progressively lower, even in geographic areas with high HIV prevalence rates.

* This list is subject to change as new blood safety opportunities and requirements emerge. Additional tests may be performed to meet special patient needs.
 This page last reviewed: Friday, May 19, 2006
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk