Rest in Peace Panos Pappas

• 17 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Rest in Peace Panos Pappas
« on: November 06, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
I am very sad to pass this news along. Our dear friend Panos (Panagiotis) Pappas (Baal in thalpal) has lost his battle with cancer. Panos was a good friend who taught me so much about how people deal with thal. His kindness and sense of humor will never be forgotten. I hope many patients realize how much that Panos taught me has in turn benefited them.

Rest in peace dear Panos. You have earned it.

:sorrow
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:39:36 AM by Andy »
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Rest in Peace Panos Pappas
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »
Rest in peace Panos....I am so sad :(  It's a terrible loss for all of us..

I'm so sorry Andy, I know that he was a very good friend of yours.

Sharmin
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 12:39:55 AM by Andy »
Sharmin

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 07:42:56 AM »
This is so sad to hear. My heart is filled with grief and don't know what to say...

Panos has cancer and not thalassemia? Or both?

I recently saw a post by him and it's so sad to see than before two months, he was with us and now no more.

Rest in peace, my friend.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 07:56:35 AM »
Panos had thal and developed liver cancer in the past year. This is becoming too common in older thals who also have hepatitis C. Panos had fought hypersplenism and won. But that caused his ferritin to rise to over 13,000. His unique combinations of chelators and the success he had using them to get his ferritin below 1000 were a testament to his ingenuity and commitment to staying alive. He taught me so much about surviving the worst of thal, but he could not beat cancer.

For thals with Hep C, I strongly recommend ongoing use of herbs like nigella, milk thistle and red clover. I also have to say, keep your iron down as low as you can. Iron feeds cancer. Panos was not at fault. At one point, he was transfusing every few days because his spleen was destroying the blood as soon as it was transfused. His iron level was due to this period of hyper-transfusion.

I also want to add a bit of info about Panos. Panos was a fussball (table soccer) champion and he was quite proud of his ability at this game. He was a great guy who was always ready to help his fellow thals with good advice. I'm really going to miss him.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:05:35 PM »
I am so saddened to hear this....Panos seemed never to feel sorry for himself, he seemed always positive...even by a few words,
some peoples goodness shines through...like they are radiating blissful rays through the computer screen...I feel Panos was one of them.   

Offline Lena

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 06:15:11 PM »
I have just read it, I am so sorry for Panos. We had some telephone contacts during the past years and I happened to have known him a little more. He was a fighter. Were it not for cancer, he would have done it well. I feel so sorry for him and his family.  R.I.P

I would like to add some valuable info I heard in a conference we had here in Athens on thalassaemia.
I was greatly impressed to hear  the hepatologists say that liver cancer is due not only  to past hepatitis but also  to liver iron and age-growth (talking about older patients.) That shows that we must never abort our chelation therapy, even when our ferritin level is lower.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
You are correct Lena.

And I think a regular practice to consume turmeric every twice or thrice a week should be adopted, which I have recently started (taking turmeric + honey). Turmeric has been know for helping with liver problems immensely.
Every child is special.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 09:00:21 PM »
I would like to add some valuable info I heard in a conference we had here in Athens on thalassaemia.
I was greatly impressed to hear  the hepatologists say that liver cancer is due not only  to past hepatitis but also  to liver iron and age-growth (talking about older patients.) That shows that we must never abort our chelation therapy, even when our ferritin level is lower.

Dr. Vichinsky is very adamant about this as well.  He feels that regardless of how low iron levels are - chelation should not be stopped.  If iron levels are low then chelation should be decreased to minute levels - however there must be a chelator on board at all times to bind free iron and to protect the organs.  The less iron that accumulates in the liver the better.

Panos worked very hard and fought a great battle.  Even after discovering the devastating news his first inclination was to warn everyone else.  When we fight this battle it's not just for ourselves.  Although we must fight for ourselves and our loved ones, it is also our duty to protect others as we slowly glean new information.  When we do something right  or when we make a mistake we have an opportunity to protect others.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 12:08:55 AM by Sharmin »
Sharmin

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 09:02:47 PM »
I am sad for the unfortunate death of our friend.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 09:07:51 PM by Canadian_Family »
Regards.

Offline Bostonian_04

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
I am so sad to hear this.....Rest in peace Panos....

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ? - Plato

Offline zahra

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 08:12:57 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about Panos. Heartfelt condolences to his family and friends . May he rest in peace.
Zahra

Offline Poirot

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 07:34:59 AM »
This is such terrible news - rest in peace, Panos aka Baal.  :(

It is such a load of crap  - we manage our thal and our iron levels, and then something else comes and gets us. Losing Baal, for me,  is like revisiting the death of Ashish. While I did not know him that well or face to face, I could feel a real "connect" with him on this board.

He never played the victim card despite all his troubles, and always had a humourous take on his issues. And, he lifted others up when they were depressed. We will miss you, Baal.

Hopefully, you are now playing Foosball, without the pain, wherever you are ....

Salut.

Offline Dharmesh

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 11:41:18 AM »
R.I.P PANOS.

WE MISS U :((

You saw a way to fight Thal.

By Courage, Humor, Combo of all the chelators.
Start listening your body, it always gives signs

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 02:39:44 PM »
Happy b'day Panos. You'll be never forgotten. Today would've been your 47th b'day, in fact, it is.

Good people never die, their deeds and works continues to pay off and help generations to come.

Have a nice one (in heaven).

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 02:53:26 PM »
I really miss you Panos. RIP my friend.
 :sorrow
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk