HB level and Vomiting

• 9 Replies

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
HB level and Vomiting
« on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:29 AM »
I have observed a unique trend with my daughter. Everytime we approach the transfusion date, my daughter starts throwing up whenever she has food. I have brought this up several times with my hemato but he has always dismissed it citing over feeding as a reason. I am just thinking if there is some correlation between low HB and vomiting. Has anyone else also observed similar trend. Her HB is above 10 most of the time.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: HB level and Vomiting
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 11:02:05 PM »
We often also hear that when the Hb is low, many have a low appetite. Can any major explain this? Why the lack of appetitie? Is nausea involved?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:09 PM »
I never feel nausea or vomiting neither any loss of appetite. I eat good all the time.
Every child is special.

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:09:52 PM »
Himanshu,

What your daughter is experiencing has some relation with low HB, Andy is correct in saying that children experience low appetite closer to their transfusion date. If you try to overfeed them the nausea and vomiting can occur. It happens with our daughter in the past. Now we are very careful with her diet plan, closer to transfusion date, try to give light food. The body will take what it needs and throw up the extra.

Low HB causes body to go into stress resulting in low appetite and overfeeding escalates the issue of nausea and vomiting for some, specially in children.
Regards.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
Re: HB level and Appetite
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:30:14 PM »
I got my daughter's HB tested today and it read 12.2. She threw up after every meal in the last two days but she was ok today. Why should she lose appetite or even throw up with such high Hb level is beyond my comprehension.
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 06:05:07 PM »
 :biggrin

How old is your daughter.
Regards.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:48 AM »
I got my daughter's HB tested today and it read 12.2. She threw up after every meal in the last two days but she was ok today. Why should she lose appetite or even throw up with such high Hb level is beyond my comprehension.
Small kids often may have mood swings. That's the case with non-thals as well. :)

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
:biggrin

How old is your daughter.

She is 16 months old now. :biggrin

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 01:37:35 PM »
Small kids often may have mood swings. That's the case with non-thals as well. :)

-P.

Why should mood swings happen only close to transfusion dates??

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »
My daughter was same (she threw up 2-3 times a day even at the age of 2 years old), she got better over time. She is 9 now and still closer to transfusion date she complains about low appetitie and sometime nausea. Like I said, children are different than adults, they react in different fashion when HB is low. Lack of energy, low appetitie and body stress closer to transfusion date, this is not uncommon in children. No need to worry, she will get over it over time.
Regards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk