Exjade with Defriprone (Kelfar). Want to know.

• 4 Replies

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Exjade with Defriprone (Kelfar). Want to know.
« on: February 24, 2013, 06:04:17 AM »
As some of you may know from my previous post that I had stopped Exjade 2 months back due to some problems and used Kelfar. Now I want to make use of it to enhance and make my cardiac function better as well. I'm again on Exjade now if anyone wonders and it's going fine.

I took Kelfar most of my life, till mid of 2008 (say 14 years) and I had joint problems sometimes. Recently when I had to switch over, after sometime I felt again pain in joints and back (very less though).

So now my weight also has risen to 45-46 kg so I can also take 1800mg of Exjade/Asunra as max chelation dose (when calculated 40mg/kg instead of 30mg/kg), currently switched again to 1600 from 1200 since yesterday. So I plan to order 100mg tabs next time as well to go to 1800mg.

And to max out the effect, I was thinking about adding L1/Kelfar/Defriprone to this regime. How would I combine these both?

Should I do like 5 days Asunra and 2 days Kelfar? Should Asunra/Exjade be taken on all 7 days or only 5 days and allot 2 days to Kelfar/L1? What should be the dose of Kelfar at those 2 days then? I will want to keep 75% of my required dosage just to avoid any side effects.

And I do CBC every 3 weeks (19-20 days) so I should be fine if I do this combination? Because I used Kelfar all my life long previously and did tests regularly (WBCs didn't vary much) so I should be okay to do CBC every 3 weeks if I plan to adopt this therapy, correct?

Please let me know. This would be much appreciated. :)

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Narendra

Re: Exjade with Defriprone (Kelfar). Want to know.
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 11:22:46 PM »
I did a search on thalpal and found this out. baal used combination of Exjade/Kelfer. Checkout Page 11 from the link below.

http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,2617.150.html

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 11:22:38 AM »
Not going to continue this combination sadly anymore, at least not for now. Getting pretty good joint pains even with 3 caps/day on weekends. I've took Kelfar most of my life till I was 14 and this is why I think my joints, especially leg joints such as ankle, knee are little out of shape and I cannot perform various stretching excercises or Yoga.

I'm getting adjusted to 500-1000mg IP6 daily and I'll use that as replacement for it for now.

Perhaps I'll try Kelfar some other day when I feel cheerful.

One question, can Exjade remove iron from heart? I know IP6 can and defriprone can, but can exjade do that?

Thank you.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Yes, all three chelators can remove cardiac iron. If a heart T2* shows a high iron load, Exjade can be taken at 40 mg/kg for best results. Deferiprone, Ferripox or Kelfer, of course is the best chelator at this time for removing cardiac iron, but all 3 do work.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2013, 04:20:33 PM »
Yes, all three chelators can remove cardiac iron. If a heart T2* shows a high iron load, Exjade can be taken at 40 mg/kg for best results. Deferiprone, Ferripox or Kelfer, of course is the best chelator at this time for removing cardiac iron, but all 3 do work.
40mg/kg for my weight would make about 1800mg/day. I think I'll order 100mg tablets and up my dosage to 1800 instead of 1600 (current dosage).

Thanks Andy.

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk