Need Help in Diagnosing Thalassemia Minor

• 0 Replies
Need Help in Diagnosing Thalassemia Minor
« on: March 11, 2013, 01:40:43 AM »
This is my first post.

I am a 71 year old male living in Los Angeles.  I was told over 30 years ago that I had Beta Thalassemia Minor.  The determination was made solely on the basis of the results of a basic blood test, most recently showing:

MCV  71.6
MCH  23.4
RDW 16.9
WBC   3.88
HGB  12.9

My iron panel is within the normal range.

For comparison purposes, my mother's results (she will be 103 this month and was told 50 years ago that she was anemic and even given iron supplements for awhile) were recently:

MCB  83.8
MCH  27.6
RDW 14.7
WBC   8.1

The conclusion that I had Beta Thalassemia Minor was recorded in my medical file to alert physicians in the future, but nothing further was done.  AThree years ago, I informed my doctor that there had never been further testing.  He ordered an Hgv Frac. Profile which showed that I had normal adult hemoglobin present.  I was then referred to a hemotologist who assured me that a genetic  test would nevertheless confirm that I had Beta Thalassemia Minor.  He was apparently stumped, because after three months of calls into him he inally respnded by saying only that I did not have Beta Thalassemia Minor.  He offered nothin other than that perhaps I might consider a similar test for Alpha Thalassemia Minor which I have not taken as he said it would only satisfy curiosity but nothing more.

I now tested 6.0 on the Hemoglobin A1c test, showing increased risk for diabetes. However, I read on this site that Thalassemia can skew results on that test.  As I eat extremely well, hike about 20-25 miles a week and am not overwight, I am loathe to merely accept advice to simply eat better.  So, the  question is whether I should take the test to see if I have Alpha Thalassemia Minor, do nothing, question the findings that I do not have Beta Thalassemia Minor, or take different action.

Any input would be appreciated.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 01:57:31 AM by Earlo »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk