Taking lots of medication and have Beta Thal-Minor...Help

• 2 Replies
Taking lots of medication and have Beta Thal-Minor...Help
« on: March 19, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
Hi, im a 32 year old female and I've had B-thal-minor all my life. My sister, mother, all 9 of mothers siblings and all 15 of mothers aunts uncles, ect, all have either Minor or Intermedia. I was diagnosed with a benign brain tumor in 2005 and had two brain surgeries to remove it one in 2007 and one in 2009. i have since developed a seizure disorder and am on a lot of medications for various health issues. my problem is that with taking all this medication and having thalassemia my liver and spleen have become swollen and painful. i'm not sure what to do to help this, all my doctors have no experience with thalassemia and keep saying that i have digestive problems. i've had both gallbladder and appendix removed so I'm not sure whats going on. please help if you have any info

Thanks!!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Taking lots of medication and have Beta Thal-Minor...Help
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 11:26:27 PM »
It is possible that the medications have increased the rate of hemolysis, the premature destruction of red blood cells. There is already some hemolysis in all thal minors and some drugs and chemicals can increase the rate at which the red cells are removed by the spleen and liver. The result is enlargement of both organs. If the spleen gets extremely large and there is some risk of rupture, it will usually be recommended that it is removed. Generally this is done only if the spleen size is more than 20-25 cm. Please see the list at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3410.msg34830.html#msg34830
Although this is far more common among alpha thals, we have heard from enough beta minors to realize that some are affected. I would say there is a great possibility that you are reacting to a med. It is well known that beta thals should avoid any sulfa drugs and there are others that can cause reactions. Some common household items like moth balls and fabric softener dryer sheets can also be implicated. It may be that a specific med is causing the problem. Talk to your hematologist about the possibility of hemolysis and if any of the drugs you've been taking may be the cause and if there is a substitute.

There are a few supplements that may help your red cells live longer. Folic acid, B Complex, natural vitamin E and magnesium, all play a role in red blood cell health.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Taking lots of medication and have Beta Thal-Minor...Help
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
thanks for your help, any chance y'all know of a hematologist in the dallas area??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk