Thal. and high blood pressure?

• 6 Replies
Thal. and high blood pressure?
« on: April 22, 2013, 05:48:22 PM »
Hi, all. I'm thalassemia beta minor/carrier, which I'm certain comes from my dad and is present in my little sister, too (neither have been officially tested, but both show symptoms). I do all right - mild anemia at worst and I get hot easily, but otherwise, I think that's pretty good!

However, I've been wondering about conditions that may or may not be connected to my thal. I'm 25 and I've been borderline hypertensive for about five years now, and my doctor is concerned it may be becoming out-and-out high blood pressure. I'm no health nut, but I'd say I eat a fairly balanced diet, and I don't like salty food so it's not sodium. My blood pressure stayed the same even when I was exercising a lot, so I don't think that's it so much. My father was also diagnosed hypertensive at my age (and he was very active then), and put on medication when he was thirty. My question is: does anyone else have thal. with high blood pressure? Are these somehow connected, or is it just genetic coincidence? Either way, is there something I should look out for in possible treatments for hypertension that will clash with my thal.? My pulse has always been fast, too - connection or coincidence?

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
Re: Thal. and high blood pressure?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2013, 07:00:41 PM »
I'm thal major and my BP is not high, but my pulse are always high.

How high are yours?

And yes, it's very common with thals. My father too had high blood pressure problem, started somewhere around when he was 48 or so (6 y back or so). But he started controlling his food habits and doing very mild exercise in morning such as few types of yoga (such as brisk breathing, etc), reduced salt and oil intake in diet and he's been living very fine.

I think high heartbeats also has to do with Hb. My father's heartbeat are excellent (~70-75) as his Hb stays around 12-13, but me being major and my mother being minor and having Hb around 9-10, her heartbeats are also little high, including mine.

Don't leave exercising, do it, if not intense workouts or such, give relaxed exercises such as yoga and stretching a try.

-P.
Every child is special.

Offline Narendra

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2013, 09:05:33 PM »
With your genetic history (your dad) I would say it is more genetic than due to thal.

Offline Berlian

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 12:06:32 AM »
I strongly agree with Pratik and
Narendra. High blood pressure have nothing to do
with thalassemia minor.

Never Give Up!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
Thal minors are more likely to have low BP. Sodium is hidden in most packaged and processed foods, so be alert for that, also. If you eat out often, that can be another hidden source of sodium. And sometimes, it is genetic.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:36 PM »
Thanks for all the replies, guys. I was wondering if high bp was connected, but it looks like it's just another genetic thing...neither my dad nor I eat a lot of processed foods - I personally dislike a lot of salty tastes, and I can always taste the sodium in packages meats. Is there anything I should look out for in common bp meds that might interact with thal?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
There is nothing about thalassemia that would prohibit BP meds, but why choose the medication route?

Alternatives for dealing with high BP can easily be found. For example, see http://www.naturalnews.com/037293_blood_pressure_foods_natural_remedies.html
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk