• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
    June 05, 2020, 05:59:25 PM

• Login with username, password and session length

Sajid's dove

Tell everyone they can now find this site by typing this into their browser:

thalpal.com

Click to visit us on Facebook

If you have any problems registering or signing in, please send an email to: andythalpal@yahoo.com
Please do not send questions about thalassemia to this address.

Administrators
Andy
Danielle

Thalassemia Patients and Friends and thalpal © A. Battaglia 2019

55294 Posts in 5911 Topics by 6206 Members
Latest Member: jammirati

A message for all  parents who are thals. Keeping your iron load under control is an absolute obligation to your children.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blood Transfusion by John Porter  (Read 69471 times)
Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« on: May 30, 2013, 06:24:15 PM »

From John Porter Blood Transfusion (The entire PowerPoint presentation is attached to this post).

Recommendations complicated by the use of different anticoagulant-preservative solutions.
For CPD-A units with a haematocrit of approximately 75%, the volume per transfusion is usually 10-15 ml/kg, administered over 3-4 hours.
Units with additive solutions may have haematocrits of 60-70%, and therefore larger volumes are needed to administer the same red cell mass as delivered by CPD-A units with a higher haematocrit
For most patients, it is usually easier to avoid these differences in red cell concentration by ordering a certain number of units (e.g. 1 or 2) rather than a particular volume of blood.
Younger children may require a fraction of a unit to avoid under- or over-transfusion.
Patients with cardiac failure or very low initial haemoglobin levels should receive smaller amounts of red cells at slower rates of infusion.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Baby_boy

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

Dear Andy,

What is the formula used when calculating the amount of blood that a patient receives in order to maintain an acceptable Hb level ?

Also, what is the difference between Leukocyte depleted and Leukocyte poor blood ?

Thank you and Best regards,
Shastri & Alicia.
Cristina

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:29:54 AM »

Hi Andy,

I am new to the forum! Thank you for accepting me. Reading Prof Porter blood transfusion requirements presentation , made me a bit confused, at one point he states:
Evidence that maintenance of higher hemoglobin levels does require more blood .

–transfusion requirements of 14 French patients were directly proportional to  mean Hb and nearly doubled between 9.6 and 13.4 g/dL (Brunengo 1986 ) etc

Any input on this? My believe was that if hb is high you receive less units of blood  consequently if low hb, more units?

Andy Battaglia
Administrator
Supreme Member

Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »

It requires more blood initially to reach an Hb goal, but after that it should not, unless some factor like an antibody reaction is causing the blood to be destroyed faster. I don't know of any patients kept at an Hb above 11, so it may require more blood if an Hb >12 is the goal, although that seems to be an unrealistic goal.

Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.
Cristina

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:58:05 AM »

Thank you, Andy:)
 I am going to ask Prof Porter as well at our next appt .
xxx
Emby

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:36:33 AM »

Another excellant article. Thank you Andy for sharing.

I have just read the whole document but i need help in understanding some of it...
Pages: 1 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: