Beta thal minor and fatigue, etc.

• 1 Replies

Offline Hamtaro

Beta thal minor and fatigue, etc.
« on: July 29, 2013, 10:59:09 PM »
So some background - I'm an underweight 19 yo female with beta thal minor. The only things I've really been doing for it is taking adult gummy multivitamins daily and getting annual blood work. But throughout my life, and especially recently, I feel really tired and low energy a lot, and sometimes feel lightheaded. I have always had a low appetite. And I struggle with anxiety and depression. I get low blood sugar pretty often too, but I don't know if these are all related to my thal minor or not.

Every year my blood work is about the same. The numbers I can remember off the top of my head is that my hemoglobin is 10 g/dl, I think my MCV is around 50. Tomorrow I am getting blood work, so when my results come back, I can make a follow up post. I'm going to see an endocrinologist for my low blood sugar soon as well. I'm wondering if I should make an appt also with a hemotologist? If I did this, would it be of any benefit at all?

What can I do to feel healthier? I'm just tired of, well, feeling tired all the time. Do other people with thal minor have trouble gaining weight at all or problems with their blood sugar?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Beta thal minor and fatigue, etc.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 02:46:36 AM »
Get your vitamin D tested, also and then let me know the level. Many of the problems mentioned are related to low D, which is the most common vitamin deficiency on earth and very common among thal minors. And look through the advice at http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,4890.msg46774.html#msg46774
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk