Nausea and Exjade

• 5 Replies
Nausea and Exjade
« on: August 03, 2013, 12:15:10 AM »
Hi All,

I have a question for you. I just started Exjade last week. Following advice I've read here, I am slowly building to the full dose of 1500. So far, I have had near constant nausea/upset stomach, and feel even more tired than usual.

In your experience, did the nausea ever lessen? How long did it take for your system to adjust?

I have already lost a few pounds just because nothing is sitting well on my stomach. Any foods in particular that you eat and/or stay away from that make you feel better?

Thanks!

Offline zahra

Re: Nausea and Exjade
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2013, 12:48:35 AM »
Hi Winnie,
When do you take your exjade? My son used to vomit when I gave him exjade on an empty stomach in the morning but was ok when given it after a nap or an hour after a meal. Another thing that you can try is a divided dose. That will also help the ferritin come down quicker b/c chelation will be for a longer time. Some people do better taking exjade with food and that is ok too. The most important thing is to take it regularly...........doesn't matter which way. Find out which way works for you.
Zahra

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 03:30:03 AM »
That's good advice Zahra, thanks!

I took a break from Exjade for a couple of days, so my appetite came back. I'm starting again, but this time in the evening after eating. I think last time I forgot about staying hydrated too.

We'll see how it goes :)

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:30 AM »
hi again,

I am hoping for some more advice.

I have been doing my best with exjade, but it is still bothering my stomach. I should be taking three 500mg tablets per day. What  i can usually tolerate is two tablets taken at night before bed, on a full stomach with a low dose of Benedryl.  Even then, the next day my stomach is queasy so i have been only taking it on nights when i don't have to go to school or work the next day (Fridays and saturdays)

My question is, considering my constant stomach issues should I consider an intravenous chelator instead? I don't know much about them, or the side effects.

Thanks!
Winnie

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:17:53 PM »
Winnie,

Since you are still new to chelation, I think you should try reducing your Exjade dose to just one tablet, crushed and mixed with soft food either with your dinner or while your stomach is still full after dinner. Try this for a couple weeks and if there is still no improvement, talk to your doctor about the other oral chelator, Ferriprox before deciding on desferal. Also, never take Exjade with high fat foods. It is no longer required that it be taken on an empty stomach but the one precaution is avoid mixing it with fatty foods. If things do improve, then try one tablet early in the day with food and one late in the day, and eventually work yourself up to the required dose. I would also advise drinking tea with meals as it inhibits iron absorption from foods.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 07:24:36 PM »
Hi Andy,
This is great advice, thanks! i did not know about fatty foods. I tried mixing the exjade with pudding the other night, and didn't have any nausea at the time or the next day.

My next goal is to keep taking it consistently, as I would rather not start a new medication if i can avoid it.

Thank again!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk