Neutropenia?

• 1 Replies
Neutropenia?
« on: October 10, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »
My husband and I recently relocated and got caught up on doctor visits, we neglected for various reasons.  I found a new primary care doctor and she found that I had familial neutropenia.

They knew I was anemic since I was about 8 or 9, but didn't find I had thal minor until my teens, and  I'm now 59 and this is the first time I've been told I have neutropenia.  My question is has anyone else with any form of thalassemia been told this?  It makes a lot of sense to me now, since when ever I'm around people/family who are sick, I get sick, but my husband does not.

BTW, I want to thank Andy and the forum, for being here.  I can't tell you how validating it was to read about the more recent study which shows that Thal minors do, in fact have symptoms.  I grew up in the 60's and can't tell you how sick I am from hearing my whole life that I didn't have any symptoms, when I could look around me and see siblings, friends and my spouse with higher energy levels (and less fatigue) then me and know that wasn't right.

Offline Danny.H

Re: Neutropenia?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
Very interesting ...
Thanks for sharing .
Yes this group is awesome .after I learn I have thalassemia I have been educated by this group.most doctors usually go by the book and are not really interested in explore what minors ,silent or trait really endure during their lives. My mother is a Silent carrier, but we can connect some events in her life to symptoms of thalassemia. I  suffered from fainting,fatigue,low blood pression, always like sports but I was slower and more tired than the others around me. It never really got into my mind until I really think about my childhood. The most bugging thing was always be deemed anemic and charged with not eating a healthy diet ,what probably I was actually more mindful of my diet than my friends.. But you know all about it :) has lots about our blood disorder that we actually do not know yet. But it is good to be able to share with each other here.
Daniela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk