Nanotechnology

• 2 Replies

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Nanotechnology
« on: October 23, 2013, 09:35:17 PM »
Andy,

What are your thoughts on nanotechnology and the cure of thalassemia?  Do you think that perhaps one day nanoparticles can be used to 'mend' the mutation in chromosome 11 and ultimately cure thalassemia major?  possibly eliminating the need for chemo and dangerous preparations? 

Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Nanotechnology
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »
Sharmin,

I don't know much about the subject, but it does have great possibilities. I think it may have important application in genetic disorders. Can nano-genes be created? They already can target a specific gene, so that part of the process is already there. Can replacement genes be inserted? Medicine will be revolutionized in the future but will we be able to afford it?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Nanotechnology
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »
You're right Andy, the cost will be a big impediment!  Lil A has been very interested in nanotechnology.  I do think it will be possible one day - but it may be very far off in the future.  Apparently one of the uses may actually be tiny nanoparticles that can be programmed to correct strands of dna in existing cells and chromosomes.   I guess there is much to be seen at this point.  For now I just hope that gene therapy continues to go well - we have a lot of reasons to be positive.

Sharmin

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk