weightlifting - enlarged heart (left or right ventricular hypertrophy?)

• 2 Replies
Hi,

I have Thalassemia Intermediate, with an average hemoglobin level of about 10, no transfusions so far, and I have been weightlifting for 3 years.

I really enjoy pushing my body to the limit through weightlifting in order to enlarge my muscles.

Unfortunately, over the course of the 3 years, along with my muscles growing my heart has grown too!

Every time I visit the cardiologist he insists that I stop pushing my body with the intensity I have done so far. He suggests scaling down the weight  I lift and try lifting lower weights with higher repetitions.

Unfortunately, this has not yielded the results I desire.

I am looking for any sort of advise on how to balance heavy exercise and muscle growth with a healthy heart.

I definitely do not want weightlifting to cause any short-term or long-term heart issues as my cardiologist suggests (if my heart grows to big I  will have to transfuse, or something along those lines)will  happen if I continue at this rate.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: weightlifting - enlarged heart (left or right ventricular hypertrophy?)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:52:07 PM »
Two questions. Have you ever had an MRI of your heart to check the iron load? And are you taking any supplements, especially L-carnitine?
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: weightlifting - enlarged heart (left or right ventricular hypertrophy?)
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 08:46:40 AM »
I did, the MRI results were satisfactory! I do not take L-carnitine. Just the usual vitamins (folic acid, vitamin E etc.) I also recently started taking zinc supplements and wheatgrass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk