Is there a high chance I may be diagnosed with alpha thalassemia?

• 2 Replies
Hello! I'm new to the forum and just got the results from a routine pre-wedding Hb analysis and the report suggested a DNA testing to rule out alpha thalassemia trait. I haven't got the results in my hand currently but these are what I can remember from the Hb analysis...

From the CE/HPLC, I had:

Normochromic normocytic RBCs
88% of HBAo
0.2% of Hb (Others) - ? Bart's / Variant <--- this was written in the report... I will include further details later...

Do these findings suggest I have alpha thal? Any response would be greatly appreciated... Am worried sick! Thank you!

- BTW, all other findings were normal e.g RBC (slightly above the normal range), Hb, MCV etc.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Is there a high chance I may be diagnosed with alpha thalassemia?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 04:41:56 PM »
If Hb Barts is detected it means you are an alpha thal carrier, most likely a single gene deletion since the other tests were normal, but because there is a ? I would suggest getting a second hemoglobin electrophoresis test done to verify the presence of Hb Barts. There are no health implications form being what is called a silent carrier, but it does have significance in terms of having children. If you were to have a child with a two gene deleted alpha thal, there would be a possibility of the child having the more serious HbH condition, so it may be wise to have any partner tested before having children.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Is there a high chance I may be diagnosed with alpha thalassemia?
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 10:51:58 AM »
I've already had my blood sent for DNA analysis... if it's not Hb Barts, will I still have alpha thalassemia even with the 0.2% "Others" in the CE results?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk