Diabetes

• 3 Replies

Offline Niyati

• I take it as a challenge ;)
Diabetes
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:24:21 PM »
My sugar level is a above the border.. reports are attached before fasting and after glucose test ..Plz tell me now do I have to say good bye to almost every sugar item for the rest of my life???
I don't like chocolates and sweets already ...I have started a daily brisk walk of half and hour..
I am a thal major ..
Plz tell me will I ever be able to get a normal life again?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »
The function of the pancreas in thals is most affected by iron. What is your ferritin level? Have you had liver and heart scans, and if so, how are your levels?

The best way for thalassemics to avoid diabetes is to always keep their iron load under control, as it is iron that reduces pancreatic function.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Niyati

• I take it as a challenge ;)
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 06:08:44 PM »
My heart iron levels are normal but my ferritin is 6990 iit was 8700 months back..it is reducing rapidly with combination of asundra and celfer.
doc say that my ferritin cannot be that much high because I have no iron disposition not even on skin ... I don't know about lever.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:35:13 AM »
I would agree that you should continue your combination chelation until you see the ferritin much lower. If possible, get the liver MRI, also. Your glucose test is high, but the high HbA1c isn't really unusual for thals, as it is almost always on the high side in thals. I think you will do much better with your sugar issue when your iron load is completely under control (which should be the goal of every thal. It makes life so much better).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk