Silymarin

• 5 Replies
Silymarin
« on: December 24, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »
Mediterr J Hematol Infect Dis. 2013 Nov 4;5(1):e2013065. doi: 10.4084/MJHID.2013.065.
Therapeutic value of combined therapy with deferasirox and silymarin on iron overload in children with Beta thalassemia.
Hagag AA1, Elfrargy MS1, Gazar RA1, El-Lateef AE2.
Author information 1Department of Pediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt.2Department of Clinical Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, Tanta University, Egypt.
Abstract
BACKGROUND: Beta thalassemia is an inherited hemoglobin disorder resulting in a severe, chronic anemia requiring life-long blood transfusion that induces iron overload. Silymarin is a flavonoid complex isolated from Silybin marianum with a strong antioxidant activity, inducing an hepatoprotective action, and probably, a protective effect on iron overload. The aim of this work was to determine the silymarin value in improving iron chelation in thalassemic patients with iron overload treated with Deferasirox.

PATIENTS AND METHODS: This study was conducted on 40 children with beta thalassemia major under follow-up at Hematology Unit, Pediatric Department, Tanta University Hospital with serum ferritin level more than 1000 ng/ml and was divided into two groups. Group IA: Received oral Deferasirox (Exjade) and silymarin for 6 months. Group IB: Received oral Deferasirox (Exjade) and placebo for 6 months and 20 healthy children serving as a control group in the period between April 2011 and August 2012 and was performed after approval from research ethical committee center in Tanta University Hospital and obtaining an informed written parental consent from all participants in this study.

RESULTS: Serum ferritin levels were markedly decreased in group IA cases compared with group IB (P= 0.001).

CONCLUSION: From this study we concluded that, silymarin in combination with Exjade can be safely used in the treatment of iron-loaded thalassemic patients as it showed good iron chelation with no sign of toxicity.

RECOMMENDATIONS: We recommend extensive multicenter studies in a large number of patients with longer duration of follow-up and more advanced techniques of assessment of iron status in order to clarify the exact role of silymarin in reducing iron overload in children with beta thalassemia.

PMID:24363880

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Silymarin
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
Note: Silymarin is found in milk thistle, which we already recommend because of its ability to help regenerate liver tissue and put hepatitis in remission. In light of its complementary chelation properties, I believe we should recommend this strongly to patients.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »
Dear Andy,
I have heard about ULTRA THISTLE, which is 10 times more effective then ordinary Milk Thistle. Is it so?
Secondly my son age 15 year was diagnosed Hepatitis - C in HCV Test , but later on in PCR Qualitative report it was shown as "NOT Detected" .
Do You feel still he needs Milk Thistle or Ultra Thistle.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Hi All,

I need to give Milk Thistle to my 3 years old son. It is available in different potency/power. Please suggest recommended dosage. Also, I am confused between 'milk thistle' and 'milk thistle extract'. Which is better?  if you could provide the online links where i can buy this.

Thanks in advance.

Offline nice friend

• Thalassemia Major
  • If I Can, Why Not You??... If I Can U TOO !!!...
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:20:11 PM »
Tarique and Anshul ,
i cant say anything about which company's milk thistle is best ... but , a few years ago ,,,  i used to take Puritan's and GNC's milk thistle .. GNC's products are a bit expensive in comparison with Puritan's products ...

here r the links ...
http://www.puritan.com
http://www.gnc.com/home/index.jsp
Sometimes , God breaks our spirit to save our soul.
Sometimes , He breaks our heart to make us whole.
Sometimes , He sends us pain so we can be stronger.
Sometimes , He sends us failure so we can be humble.
Sometimes , He sends us illness so we can take better care of our selves.
Sometimes , He takes everything away from us so we can learn the value of everything we have.

===========
Umair

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 06:57:00 AM »
Wow, this is a great study.

I have really became very irregular in taking Milk Thistle although I have it. I will make sure to incorporate it daily from now onwards.

Anshul and for those others who are wondering about if whether to take extract and from what brand, I would recommend definitely Puritan's Pride. Cheap and quality supplements.

I take this - http://www.puritan.com/puritans-pride-brand-0102/milk-thistle-standardized-250-mg-004548

It contains 80% of the Silymarin extract out of 250 mg which is very good.

Best,

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk