Increasing Bone Mass

• 37 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Increasing Bone Mass
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 09:04:46 PM »
One note to add to Canadian Family's post.
Calcium is poorly absorbed, but it is much better absorbed if the vitamin D level is normal. If the D level is normal, about 30% of the calcium can be absorbed. If deficient in D, only about 10% is absorbed.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Emby

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 02:40:41 AM »
Okay, thank you very much Andy and Canadian Family.

Also found this while researching. Which type of magnesium is best?

Osteoporosis

Magnesium is involved in bone formation and influences the activities of osteoblasts and osteoclasts [48]. Magnesium also affects the concentrations of both parathyroid hormone and the active form of vitamin D, which are major regulators of bone homeostasis. Several population-based studies have found positive associations between magnesium intake and bone mineral density in both men and women [49]. Other research has found that women with osteoporosis have lower serum magnesium levels than women with osteopenia and those who do not have osteoporosis or osteopenia [50]. These and other findings indicate that magnesium deficiency might be a risk factor for osteoporosis [48].
Although limited in number, studies suggest that increasing magnesium intakes from food or supplements might increase bone mineral density in postmenopausal and elderly women [1]. For example, one short-term study found that 290 mg/day elemental magnesium (as magnesium citrate) for 30 days in 20 postmenopausal women with osteoporosis suppressed bone turnover compared with placebo, suggesting that bone loss decreased [51].
Diets that provide recommended levels of magnesium enhance bone health, but further research is needed to elucidate the role of magnesium in the prevention and management of osteoporosis.

Andy, do you have something on bone health for thals that i could print to show the consultant. The consultant doesn't seem to think that supplementation of vit d, magnesium, calcium and zinc is important, that these should taken mostly by diet.

Offline Himanshu Kumar

• Aditi
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2014, 08:59:13 AM »
Can rickets set in at a very early age in thal major. My pediatrician has asked for bone xray of my daughter who is a thal major and just 2.5 yr old. I have been giving shelcal to my daughter for over an year now. I am alzo giving her z  and d now. What are the early symptoms of rickets.
Regards
Regular transfusion, Keeping pre transfusion HB above 10 and Iron Chelation are the three mantras for thals to stay healthy.

Offline Emby

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2018, 11:45:51 AM »
Hello everyone!

it's been a while.

has anyone heard of a bone supplement called Bone UP....to increase bone density..

Amounts Per Serving
Vitamin C (as calcium ascorbate): 200 mg
Vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol): 25 mcg
Natural MK-7 (vitamin K2 as menaquinone-7): 45 mcg
Calcium (elemental) (from microcrystalline hydroxyapatite): 1000 mg
Magnesium (as magnesium oxide): 500 mg
Zinc (L-OptiZinc®) (as zinc monomethionine): 10 mg
Copper (as copper gluconate): 1 mg
Manganese (as manganese citrate): 1 mg
Potassium (as potassium citrate): 99 mg
Boron (as boron citrate): 3 mg

does anyone take this? Has it helped?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
Hi Emby,

I don't know anyone who has taken this product, but it is a well balanced formula from a company with a long positive track record for making quality supplements. Reviews on Amazon are overwhelmingly positive, with many claiming improvement in bone density after taking it for long periods.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
Andy, thank you very much for replying.
I hope that you are well.
Looks like worth it is trying.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2018, 05:36:33 PM »
I'm doing better, although it appears I may have to deal with the effects of cellulitis for a long time. Dr Wheatgrass Super Balm is keeping it under control on my skin.
Andy

Offline Emby

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
Oh gosh that is painful. I pray the Allah grant you a cure you and grant you ease and comfort in your body. Aameen. :heartpink

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk