Can Thal minor affect blood glucose test

• 2 Replies
Can Thal minor affect blood glucose test
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:54:10 AM »
My first post here - I have found this a great source of information, so thank you all.

I am 65 years of age, female, retired, live in Australia, with Thal minor.

Recently I was at a friends home who is a type 2 diabetic, and as my brother also has type 2 diabetes, I asked for a pre-breakfast finger prick test.  It read as 8.2 which is fairly high.

On my return from the holiday, I went to the doctor to have this checked out, and the finger prick test at the doctors read 7.1 (still a tad high).  He then referred me on to have a glucose test at a pathology lab, and the results returned as normal... ie not diabetic.

I remember reading somewhere that having Thal minor can affect the results of glucose blood tests, and so I am interested in finding out more.  Of course I mentioned this to my doctor at the time. 

My concern is that I live in a semi rural area where there are very few people of Medit. origin.  I know for example that I am one of the very few cases of Thal minor that this lab has, so it is fairly unfamiliar.

My question is as posed in the topic.  Can Thal minor people have a  "normal" blood glucose test because the results are masked by the effects of Thal minor?

thanks to all in advance of any replies.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Can Thal minor affect blood glucose test
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 12:31:41 AM »
Thal minors can have a normal fasting glucose test. The HbA1C test used to monitor diabetes has no value for thal minors, as variant hemoglobins will be counted and cause a high result. The lab value is the only test here that is credible. Go by that.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Re: Can Thal minor affect blood glucose test
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 02:00:45 AM »
variant hemoglobins will be counted and cause a high result.

Thanks Andy for your response.  I wonder then, is it these "variant hemoglobins" that  give  high results in the finger prick test, while the fasting glucose test shows normal readings.  Although the my fasting glucose test came back as ok, I keep getting high finger prick numbers.

cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk