Bluebird Bio Releases Data on Current Gene Therapy Trials

• 192 Replies

Offline Parin

Re: Bluebird Bio Releases Data on Current Gene Therapy Trials
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2017, 04:37:39 PM »
http://investor.bluebirdbio.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=251820&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=2282785

bluebird bio Presents New Data from HGB-205 Study of LentiGlobinTM Drug Product in Patients with Transfusion-Dependent β-Thalassemia (TDT) and Severe Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) at European Hematology Association (EHA) Annual Meeting

–Ongoing transfusion independence up to 3.5 years in patients with transfusion-dependent β-thalassemia (TDT); three patients have discontinued iron chelation –

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #166 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »
You beat me to it. In was about to post this the other day when I saw you had posted.

Overall, this report was good news.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #167 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Would this require Chemo?

Was there any other drug that produced Hb too?
Every child is special.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #168 on: June 26, 2017, 11:55:13 PM »
Pratik, chemotherapy is required to prepare the patient for the procedure. Gene therapy is a permanent cure. It is very good news that some of the earlier patients in the trials are no longer chelating. Also, their new product appears to be improved, which is good news as they head to a beta zero only trial.

The drug we've been following that increases Hb is Luspatercept. This is not a cure, but an ongoing treatment, but it will probably be the more easily accessible, as gene therapy will come with a high price tag. Phase 3 trials for Luspatercept are now full and underway. There is a good chance it will hit the market by 2020 if the trials go well. The early trials have gone exceptionally well. Depending on the transfusion needs of the patient, this drug should eliminate the need for transfusion in intermedia patients, including many with HbE beta thal, and also greatly reduce the transfusion and chelation requirements of almost all thals. The drug reduces ineffective erythropoiesis, which lowers iron absorption, while also reducing the amount of iron being taken from transfusions. I anticipate that many patients currently using drugs like hydroxyurea and thalidomide will switch to Luspatercept once it is available. I see the other drugs as a temporary measure until better comes along. Better is really close.
Andy

« Reply #169 on: April 14, 2018, 08:26:39 PM »
Thats a great insight Andy. Are there any new updates on it since your last post?

Pratik, chemotherapy is required to prepare the patient for the procedure. Gene therapy is a permanent cure. It is very good news that some of the earlier patients in the trials are no longer chelating. Also, their new product appears to be improved, which is good news as they head to a beta zero only trial.

The drug we've been following that increases Hb is Luspatercept. This is not a cure, but an ongoing treatment, but it will probably be the more easily accessible, as gene therapy will come with a high price tag. Phase 3 trials for Luspatercept are now full and underway. There is a good chance it will hit the market by 2020 if the trials go well. The early trials have gone exceptionally well. Depending on the transfusion needs of the patient, this drug should eliminate the need for transfusion in intermedia patients, including many with HbE beta thal, and also greatly reduce the transfusion and chelation requirements of almost all thals. The drug reduces ineffective erythropoiesis, which lowers iron absorption, while also reducing the amount of iron being taken from transfusions. I anticipate that many patients currently using drugs like hydroxyurea and thalidomide will switch to Luspatercept once it is available. I see the other drugs as a temporary measure until better comes along. Better is really close.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
Yes, there is an update and you posted it. Hehe. The big news is that approval will be sought in Europe this year.
Andy

« Reply #171 on: April 25, 2018, 04:45:42 AM »

Maybe I am wrong but will the gene therapy be tried on minors as well? Does the gene therapy, if successful, be able to eliminate the genes from the germline thereby preventing future generations from the disease?

« Reply #172 on: April 25, 2018, 03:51:25 PM »
Hi,

Minors do not need a gene therapy considering its risks and cost. Prevention is the only way to eliminate thalassemia. All thal minors should check in with their potential spouses if they have thal minor. Take a calculated risk....
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #173 on: April 29, 2018, 05:18:02 PM »
Agreed with CF. Because it requires chemo conditioning, it would not be considered for minors.
Andy

« Reply #174 on: April 30, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Hi Andy,

I am a silent Visitor for this website since long.. Now feeling to get some query addressed

My son is Major one & we are regularly Visting Dr. Vijay Pune-India. Now My query to you is Besides Blue bird I heard from Dr. Vijay that Gene Therapy  had been successfully Tested in France too by Dr. Marina Cavazaana.

Do you  have any Informationfor the same?

BR//
Nitin Arora

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2018, 01:17:15 AM »
Professor Cavazzana is the primary investigator of the HGB-205 study for bluebird.
Andy

Offline Parin

« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2018, 06:58:47 AM »
bluebird bio’s LentiGlobin™ Gene Therapy Granted Accelerated Assessment by European Medicines Agency for the Treatment of Transfusion-Dependent β-Thalassemia

http://investor.bluebirdbio.com/news-releases/news-release-details/bluebird-bios-lentiglobintm-gene-therapy-granted-accelerated

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2018, 07:45:05 PM »
It's very close to a reality.
Andy

Offline Parin

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »
Yes, any idea about USA?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #179 on: August 01, 2018, 01:25:51 AM »
No idea yet about the US, but the reason why Europe was chosen first is explained in a very in depth article at http://www.pmlive.com/pharma_intelligence/Bluebird_Bio_on_the_cusp_of_a_gene_therapy_revolution_1246188
Andy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk