How should I take IP6 tablets?

• 17 Replies

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: How should I take IP6 tablets?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 08:21:46 PM »
I am not a doctor. I am a volunteer who has spent more than a decade learning about thalassemia to help those who need help. I am very well informed about nutrition and why thals need added nutrients. I have attended many thalassemia conferences in order to learn from the very best thal doctors on earth, and many of them recognize the value I bring to the thalassemia community and lend advice when needed.

Yes, I have seen the studies on anemia about folic acid and iron combined and since both are required to build red blood cells, results are better when both are taken if the patient's anemia is nutrient related. The nonsense about eggs was based on bad research and bad research techniques. In fact, the whole argument against cholesterol is based on false science. Eggs are a very healthy food. What should be avoided are empty calories like excess sugar and highly processed foods, which have been stripped of most nutritional value. I recommend that thals eat a diet high in fresh fruits and vegetables so they can get needed nutrients and antioxidants. Antioxidants are often the forgotten part of thal diet, but do more to protect your body from the products of red cell breakdown and the damage done by iron than anything else you can take. One thing I do suggest is that patients show the Standards of Care for Thalassemia document to their doctors if their doctors are not very familiar with the current standards of treatment. You can find this in our Documents section (third item on the list).
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 08:23:40 PM »
By the way, one of our moderators has a 15 year old thal son and they have followed my advice on nutrition since he was 6. His pituitary MRI scan showed it to be clean of iron and normal for his age, which is almost unheard of among thalassemics. Antioxidants are the key to protecting the pituitary and other glands.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:37 AM »
Hi,

As Andy said, your IP6 supplement has good amount of calcium already included. But it has just 100 mg magnesium. So you're doing great by taking additional 250 mg as supplement which makes great ratio for calcium and magnesium.

About your mom worrying too much, haha. Parents are naturally over protective in nature especially when you're thal. However, I didn't had much troubles with supplements but my brother is definitely like your mother asking to check with a doctor even before taking generic supplements like this. :)

But when there's even a slightest doubt, definitely consult the doctor first but natural supplements like calcium and magnesium are great and harmful by no means provided you take in right amount of doses, which you are.

Best,

-P.
Every child is special.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk