Thalassemia Intermedia

• 10 Replies
Thalassemia Intermedia
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:49:49 AM »
Hi Andy!

My name is Ghulam Yasin. Iam from Pakistan. I am new to this website. Iam very delighted to join this forum becuase i found alot of information about thal.

I have a question regarding my daughter (Kanwal Nain)  carrier of Thalassemia Intermedia. Kindly guide me.

My daughter is carrier of Thalassemia Intermedia. She is 15 months old (her wieght, almost 5kg) .Her HB remains with in 7 to 8 some time below 7.she is weak and her development is slow. we are using medicines as per Docter directed, are:.

HU 2ml per day
Folic Acid one tab per day
Evion (Vitamin E) half cap per day
Rain D Drop (Calcium) One Drop per day

From the very first day the problem is that she does not eat anything even fruits. she is only on mother milk. she does not like any thing to eat. some time she drinks cows milk also. what should i do to feed her? And what should I feed her?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Thalassemia Intermedia
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »
You have to get her used to solid foods and then introduce new foods one by one. Will she eat mashed bananas? Cooked unfortified (no added iron) cereals mixed with milk or mother's milk?
Try different fruits to start and try to find something she likes. Once you get her used to a couple foods, it opens the door for more new foods. Mother's milk is great, but she is at the age where she needs solid foods introduced, so keep trying simple foods until you find something she likes. When she is used to foods, I suggest adding wheatgrass in one of its forms.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:54 AM »
Thank you very much Sir

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:49 AM »
Hi Andy Danielle

My daughter likes apples most. So now guide me what should I do? Apple contains iron.
Is the apple good for her???
thanking in anticipation.

Regards

Ghulam Yasin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 02:24:50 PM »
Apples are good food and should not be avoided. Thal intermedias who do not transfuse should watch iron intake, but plant foods contain poorly absorbed non-heme iron and most fruits and vegetables should not be avoided, as they contain so many nutrients. The heme iron in red meat is absorbed at a high rate, so this should be limited. It is most important that children eat healthy foods, so please encourage fruits and vegetables.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 04:35:43 AM »
Thanks Andy for guideness. God bless you.

Offline Pratik

• Thal Major.
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:35:33 AM »
Hi,

Apples are fine. I eat 6 apples a day almost as I love them a lot too. :grin

Best,

-P
Every child is special.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
Hi Pratik,

Thanks You very much. I am happy my daughter likes to eat apples. I pray for your good health.

regards,

Ghulam Yasin

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:39 AM »

Hello pratik,

6 apples a day!! Really surprised and feeling good....But you know my baby is 17 months old but still I am not giving her apple and banana..I think these are contain too much iron.

She needs transfusion after every 49 days...So pls advice may I try the above foods to my baby?How I will give the apple?I mean with skin or without the skin???

Pls advice...
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Poirot

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 06:29:41 AM »
Dear Mridula,

I would not bother at all about the iron content in fruits and vegetables - as Andy mentioned earlier, iron from these sources are not well absorbed in the body. Further the amount of iron in these foods is miniscule compared with the iron that goes in per unit of blood! Avoiding red meat (mutton, pork, beef) is a good idea - not just for their iron content, but otherwise unhealthy. Fish and chicken are great - you get high levels of protein from them. And, what's better than maccher jhol or jhal, eh?

BTW, I liked your screen name!

Poirot

Hello pratik,

6 apples a day!! Really surprised and feeling good....But you know my baby is 17 months old but still I am not giving her apple and banana..I think these are contain too much iron.

She needs transfusion after every 49 days...So pls advice may I try the above foods to my baby?How I will give the apple?I mean with skin or without the skin???

Pls advice...

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:44 AM »

Dear Poirot,

Yeah ...what's better than maccher jhol or jhal?
Thanks
Mridula
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk