Blood Transfusion Duratoin

• 5 Replies
Blood Transfusion Duratoin
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:42:01 AM »
Hi Andy Danielle!

My daughter was 4 months when she got blood transfusion for first time. Then Test declared that she is the carrier of Thal Intermedia. After almost 4 months we gave blood transfusion every month to her. Then A doctor started her HU. After using HU blood transfusion's period increased after 2 months.

Now the current situation (about to complete 2months after blood transfusion) is this that she is getting weak and she left eating fruits and other solid food.

Now please kindly suggest me the way to increase the duration of blood transfusion. If any thing to do.

Regards

Ghulam Yasin

Re: Blood Transfusion Duratoin
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 03:56:28 PM »
On what basis the doctor declared her Thal Intermedia. What test were run to come to this conclusion. Please provide more details.
Regards.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 07:55:39 PM »
Stay on a transfusion schedule that keeps her above 9. Diet can only have a small effect at most on Hb levels in thals. Wheatgrass can be tried, as some will have a small increase in Hb using wheatgrass, especially when combined with hydroxyurea.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »
Hi Canadian_Family

thanks Candadian Family.

It was a lab test. doctors took blood sample and sent to medical lab. After a week Test report received. it was then declared that my daughter is carrier of thal intermedia.

As soon as it was declared doctor suggested HU Folic Acid with other vitamin supplements. Before HU HB was 7.2 after using HU with in a week HB raised to 11.9. 

Regards

Ghulam Yasin

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
Hi Andy Danielle!

Thank you Andy for replying.

One thing I forgot to mentioned here about duration of blood transfusion. till 3 months the blood transfusion duration was after every 2 months. But last time duration increased 2 months & 10 days. Even HB was 7.4 (doctor advised not to transfuse in when HB is with in 7) the process of blood transfusion was made.

After your advice to feed her cereals mixed with milk and fruits. We have started these things. It is good thing that she has started eating cereals mixed with milk and in fruits apple & grapes. She does not like banana.

In case of wheatgrass, I would like to ask question from my friends from pakistan, especially from Islamabad, whether weatgrass can be found here in this city or not in tablets form only.

Thanks again Andy!

Regared

Ghulam Yasin

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 07:42:30 AM »

Dear Andy,

I am Mridula from Bangladesh.My 15 months old baby have hb e beta thalassemia and she needs transfusion after every 40/45 days.Doctor advise to maintain always hb 9 to 8.5.Already she have taken 8 transfusion.Is Hydroxyurea will help my baby to reducing the transfusion?Her doctor not interested about Hydroxyurea.But now as she grown up so transfusion is too difficult.Last time after trying 4 time then success to set up the canola for transfusion.This is really not tolerable...Is Hydroxyurea reduce the transfusion or stop the needs of transfusion?

Please advice me about Hydroxyurea...

Thanks
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk