Iron intake for Thalassemia Minors

• 4 Replies
Iron intake for Thalassemia Minors
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:43:58 PM »
I believe that for most thalassemia conditions including for Thalassemia minors, Iron vitamin supplements should be avoided. However there is inconsistent information out there relating to food intake containing moderate to high levels of iron.

Q1 - For a Thal Minors, should they avoid foods containing high levels of iron?

Q2 - If yes, is there a difference between avoiding heme-iron (e.g. from red meat) VS non-heme-iron (e.g. form Chlorella, spinach etc.)

Q3 – Are food based supplements (Concentrated food powders) that containing high levels of iron ok for Thal Minors? e.g.  the algae “Chlorella” where there are a lots of other benefits but it also has iron : http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chlorella.html

Q4 - Would the answers for above be different for Thal Minors with Low iron levels, Thal Minors with Normal iron levels and Thal Minors with High iron levels? If different what should be the intake relating to Q1 - Q3 above?

Cheers - Sofie

Re: Iron intake for Thalassemia Minors
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 04:13:09 AM »
I believe that for most thalassemia conditions including for Thalassemia minors, Iron vitamin supplements should be avoided. However there is inconsistent information out there relating to food intake containing moderate to high levels of iron.

Q1 - For a Thal Minors, should they avoid foods containing high levels of iron?

Q2 - If yes, is there a difference between avoiding heme-iron (e.g. from red meat) VS non-heme-iron (e.g. form Chlorella, spinach etc.)

Q3 – Are food based supplements (Concentrated food powders) that containing high levels of iron ok for Thal Minors? e.g.  the algae “Chlorella” where there are a lots of other benefits but it also has iron : http://www.herbwisdom.com/herb-chlorella.html

Q4 - Would the answers for above be different for Thal Minors with Low iron levels, Thal Minors with Normal iron levels and Thal Minors with High iron levels? If different what should be the intake relating to Q1 - Q3 above?

Cheers - Sofie

Hi Andy,
Any comments/recommendations?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 03:14:24 PM »
Sofie,

I will review these posts tonight and reply. I've had a very busy few weeks.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 02:29:20 AM »
Sofie,

The only time thal minors would have any problem with excess iron absorption would be if the Hb level was very low, <8-9 for long periods. It is not normal for minors to have such low Hb levels, so iron is seldom cautioned in dietary decisions. Supplements should be avoided unless iron deficiency has been demonstrated to coincide with the thal minor. Even then, iron supplementation should be on a temporary basis only. If one did have to avoid dietary iron, the heme iron of red meat is the most easiest absorbed and would be best reduced.
I find that avoiding empty calories, processed foods and junk foods is most important for thal minors. A nutritious diet will help the body produce and maintain healthy red blood cells. I suggest a diet high in antioxidants to counter the oxidative stress caused by the higher than normal turnover of red blood cells in thal.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 07:05:46 PM »
Sofie,

I will review these posts tonight and reply. I've had a very busy few weeks.

Thank you very much Andy and to all our friends. This site and the participation from all is a godsend. My daughter and I have already benefited from various information found here. I look forward in participation and contribution as I gain more knowledge and personal experience.

Cheers - Sofie 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk