thalassemia and miscarriage

• 1 Replies
thalassemia and miscarriage
« on: January 27, 2015, 05:36:08 AM »
I am type o blood with beta thalassemia minor. I recently had a miscarriage. My baby had heartheat at week 6+. I knew my ovulation date and my baby 's size was around 10 days smaller than it should be. I had spotting and USG showed my baby was normal with heartbeat at week 8+ and week 10 although the size was smaller. I had miscarriage at week 11+ and the fetus size was around 10 week. Then I surfed the internet and found this forum. I asked my doctor whether I should take baby aspirin and he said what I expected him to say. He said it was common to have a miscarriage and should not take aspirin for just a single miscarriage. BUT I don't want to have the second. I plan to start baby aspirin but I then surfed the internet and found that type o blood people had thinner blood and high dose vitamin E may increase risk of heart diseases for fetus. I am really confused and don't know whether it is right for me to start baby aspirin.  ???

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: thalassemia and miscarriage
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 03:19:05 PM »
bbsheri,

I have heard your story from others literally hundreds of times. The best advice I can give you is that you should be taking high dose folic acid, at least 5 mg daily in the form of L-methylfolate, and yes, NATURAL vitamin E, 400-800 IU daily.

Vitamin E does not cause heart disease. I have looked at every meta-analysis that claims harm from vitamin E and they are seriously flawed. The problem with using meta-analysis, is that you can pretty much manipulate what you choose to observe to fit anything you want to prove. All of these studies used synthetic vitamin E, which is an industrial waste by-product. Don't be misled. I have taken natural vitamin E daily for over 40 years and I absolutely swear by its value. I also have the advantage of talking to many thal minor women who have had both successful pregnancies and miscarriages. Those on doses of 5-10 mg folic acid and at least 400 IU vitamin E have had the most event free pregnancies.

I can guarantee that I have talked to more pregnant thal minor women than anyone else on earth. Most doctors ignore it and then tell the mother it's normal to have miscarriages. Well, it is not normal to have multiple miscarriages, and I have heard from many who have had 2, 3 and even more miscarriages. This is related to the clotting issues known to occur in thalassemia, which can cause an insufficient blood flow between the uterus and placenta. Vitamin E will help prevent this clotting activity.

Can I say that I really hate the way thal minors are treated by the medical profession? Ignoring your patients is the standard practice, rather than listening and reporting the symptoms. If doctors would all report what their thal minor patients tell them, there would no longer be anyway for the medical profession to bury their collective head in the sand and ignore the health concerns of those affected by thal minor.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk