Dark/almost black urine and apha thal any correlation?

• 6 Replies

Offline Ade

Dark/almost black urine and apha thal any correlation?
« on: March 25, 2015, 06:34:34 AM »
Hello everyone,

I noticed my urine has been very dark lately and so I experimented a little by peeing in a urine container which I left to stand overnight. I was shocked the following morning to see the color had changed and was now black more like a coca-cola colour. I am going in for a urine analysis today but wanted to know if it may have something to do with the apha thalassemia condition?

Can Andy/anyone shed some light please?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Dark/almost black urine and apha thal any correlation?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 02:19:40 PM »
Hi Ade,

It sounds like it may the by-product of hemolysis, the premature breakdown of red blood cells. This is a known issue in alpha thals, and is caused by exposure to offending substances. To be safe, I would ask that the urine be checked to see why the color is there, but I suspect it is caused by red cell destruction. This is called favism, and is named after the broad bean that can cause it. However, the condition is also set off by numerous other substances, primarily chemical scents and certain drugs. I have talked to patients who are sensitive to cigarette smoke, fabric softener sheets for the dryer, and all sorts of chemical fumes. Mothballs are well known, but many are sensitive to common household cleaners and perfumes. This would also explain why you are more tired and feel worse than previously. Observation of exposures is the best way to solve what it is that is causing the issue. Many cannot tolerate any chemical scent at all. For a list of some substances that can lead to hemolysis, see http://www.thalassemiapatientsandfriends.com/index.php/topic,3410.msg34830.html#msg34830
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Ade

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 06:09:24 PM »
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the prompt response and the link. Highly appreciated!

I did a Urine Analysis and Liver Function test today (on my doctor's order). The results of the former will be ready in two days time. My liver function tests results are as follows.

LIVER FUNCTIONS
> S−TOTAL BILIRUBIN 12.             Range 2−20 umol/l
> S−CONJ. BILIRUBIN 2.                Range 0−8 umol/l
> S−UNCONJ. BILIRUBIN 10.          Range 2−14 umol/l

LIVER ENZYMES
> S−ALK. PHOSPHATASE 32 (Low). Range 40 − 120 u/l 37’C
> S−gamma GT 11.                       Range 7 − 64 u/l 37’C
> S−ALT 14.                                Range 10 − 40 u/l 37’C
> S−AST 22.                                Range 10 − 42 u/l 37’C

Apart from the S-Alk. Phosphatase which I am low on and which (from online research) is sometimes caused by hemolysis, every other reading looks okay. I'll update the results of the urine analysis when it's ready.

Offline Ade

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:39:41 PM »
Hello Andy,

WOOOAAAAAAAH! I just saw peanut butter on the list of substances that can lead to hemolysis. I started eating peanut butter about two months ago and I ate loads and loads of it over a two week period before stopping. I actually incorporated it into my diet and went crazy with it as I wanted a quick and cheap way to gain weight (I'm on the skinny side and it's quite high in calories). So I ate peanuts, peanut butter and cashew nuts like the world was gonna run out of the stuff. No wonder! Talk about self-induced hemolysis. I not yet a 100% but I am beginning to feel better now as I've started taking the equivalent of wheatgrass (Telfairia Occidentalis). However since I started taking the Telfairia Occidentalis juice about 3 days ago my HB count which was 8.5 almost a wee ago has gone from 8.5 to 9.4. Is that possible Andy or is it possible that the 1st HB count was wrong?

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2015, 04:01:25 PM »
Ade,

If the Hb drops due to exposure to foods or chemicals that cause a sudden drop in Hb level, you can see a rebound in Hb in as little as two weeks. Continue to observe for any substance that may be contributing to this issue.
Andy

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2016, 11:44:44 PM »
One thing I need to add here is that you should not assume cashews cause hemolysis when peanuts might. Peanuts are a legume, as are fava beans. Cashews are a true nut and do not share the same properties as legumes.
Andy

Offline Ade

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 04:54:54 AM »
Hi Andy,  I'm just seeing this.  Thanks for the response.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk