Antioxidant Cocktails

• 5 Replies
Antioxidant Cocktails
« on: May 22, 2015, 03:32:04 PM »
Treatment of β-Thalassemia/Hemoglobin E with Antioxidant Cocktails Results in Decreased Oxidative Stress, Increased Hemoglobin Concentration, and Improvement of the Hypercoagulable State
Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity
Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 537954, 8 pages
http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/537954
Orn-uma Yanpanitch,1 Suneerat Hatairaktham,1 Ratiya Charoensakdi,1 Narumol Panichkul,1 Suthat Fucharoen,2 Somdet Srichairatanakool,3 Noppadol Siritanaratkul,4 and Ruchaneekorn W. Kalpravidh1
1Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
2Thalassemia Research Center, Institute of Molecular Biosciences, Mahidol University, Nakhon Pathom 73170, Thailand
3Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, Chiang Mai University, Chiang Mai 50200, Thailand
4Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok 10700, Thailand
Received 3 March 2015; Revised 22 April 2015; Accepted 30 April 2015
Academic Editor: Daniela Giustarini

Abstract

Studies on the antioxidant treatment for thalassemia have reported variable outcomes. However, treatment of thalassemia with a combination of hydrophobic and hydrophilic antioxidants and an iron chelator has not been studied.
This study investigated the effects of antioxidant cocktails for the treatment of β-thalassemia/hemoglobin E (HbE), which is the most common form of β-thalassemia in Southeast Asia.
Sixty patients were divided into two groups receiving N-acetylcysteine, deferiprone, and either curcuminoids (CUR) or vitamin E (Vit-E), and their hematological parameters, iron load, oxidative stress, and blood coagulation potential were evaluated.
Patients were classified as responders if they showed the improvements of the markers of iron load and oxidative stress, otherwise as nonresponders.
During treatment, the responders in both groups had significantly decreased iron load, oxidative stress, and coagulation potential and significantly increased antioxidant capacity and hemoglobin concentration.
The significantly maximum increase  in hemoglobin concentration was 11% at month 4 in CUR group responders and 10% at month 10 in Vit-E group responders.
In conclusion, the two antioxidant cocktails can improve anemia, iron overload, oxidative stress, and hypercoagulable state in β-thalassemia/HbE.

Copyright © 2015 Orn-uma Yanpanitch et al. This is an open access article distributed under the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
Re: Antioxidant Cocktails
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 03:34:04 PM »
Thank you for sharing Ironjustice.   This is important information for thals. 
Sharmin

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 03:34:52 PM »
Thank you for sharing Ironjustice.   This is important information for thals in preventing iron damage, pulmonary hypertension and many other problems. 
Sharmin

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 05:41:09 PM »
I would like to point out that the best results were those who took vitamin E. There is a reason I push vitamin E so much. If I had to tell you one supplement that you should be taking above any others, it is vitamin E.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 02:48:40 PM »
Hello Andy,
My son is 20 years old and his weight is 50 kg,how many vit E he must take by day,and is it necessary to calculate the level of vit E in his blood before giving him vit E?
Thank you sir.
Karima

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 04:08:49 PM »
I think it's actually not. The most capsules you will found contain about 400i.u. Which is ok for daily treatment.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk