Learning disabled ?

• 3 Replies

Offline Danny.H

Learning disabled ?
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:23:43 AM »
Hello dear that friends and family.As I mentioned before I'm an alpha minor with deletions on both chromosomes one from my mother and one from my father . Since I just have chromosomes with deflections this is the only thing I can pass to my children so both my children are carriers heterozygous.
I do homeschool my child and we do what we can to keep them productive during the hours we study but I didn't know about this studies of children thalassemia and sicklemia carriers having difficulty to learn because they get tired ! Very interesting for somebody that shouldn't have symptoms . Here is the link for the abstract but there is a full text option in the site .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1206388
Daniela

Offline Danny.H

Re: Learning disabled ?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 08:40:24 PM »
I read all the article on class but I didn't know it wasn't available online to everyone who wants to see it ..working in trying to bring it for us .
Daniela

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 03:05:03 AM »
I dont believe that to be true. I have beta Thalassemia major. from my guess my condition is much worse than yours or of your children. hb 5.5 ~ 6

When i was a child the hb levels where not much of a problem. The tiredness only affected after i reached 18. The hb is just not enough to cope with the age. I had to take regular absence for my transfusions but that was it. And as far as learning is concerned, you made me laugh. I have seen parents who treat their children too differently and let them exploit this point of view (children are smart, dont under estimate them  :biggrin)

Studying is not like a lot of physical work, and studying for long hours does not do any good anyway. so i see no reason for them to fail. They can study just as well as any other child. They just need determination and some support. Dont just force them to homeschooling, let them try out regular schools too. Its not just the books and lessons that you learn from schools. They need to believe in themselves.

My parents sent me to a small school very near to my house, so even walking there everyday was not much of a hard physical work. Even though they never pushed me much in terms of studying, they always had their eyes on my study and grades. Which was just enough. My point is give freedom to a child when he/she is ready for it. Dont let them neglect studying before they even realize what they are doing.

By the way now I am 26 I have a BSc Engineering degree in Computer Engineering. I was never the top of the class for sure. But i always was above average and never felt any disability in learning.

Offline Danny.H

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 07:16:43 AM »
Hello  shababhsiddique,
Thank you for your post .
I agree in certain extent with you.
But I didn't mean that I homeschool for  this reason . . I  was just taking a class on Library research and I was checking articles about thalassemia minor , when I found this study made around year 1975 with sicke cell carriers and thalassemia carriers. They made a study to prove that children that couldn't concentrate through the long periods at school weren't just bad students actually at some point they couldn't fix their attention anymore. I also didn't  see it as a disability ,but what I remember being a minor and not knowing that my tiredness of some days ..fuzzy head lack of oxygenation in the brain. Fatigue that could endure for good 24 hours  all was caused by my thalassemia and in certain moments could have hindered my performance in exams .I never put obstacles on my life either but I always knew that for some reason things for me didn't happened or worked smoothly like I would like to . It didn't  stopped me to finishing my studies. But since I understand this ups and downs I will be attemptive to give the  best school experience to my kid.
Daniela

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk