Calories

• 7 Replies

Offline Nomad

• In Darkest Day in Brightest Night...
Calories
« on: October 17, 2015, 07:04:09 PM »
Hello Andy and all,
I was searching the web about "calories requirement " in β'thal but didn't really find something. So my question, does anyone know how much- except for diabetics of course. I've heard something about 4000! kcal daily?! Which on the other hand make sense, since we do need more energy... still sounds a little too much.  :huh

Offline Nomad

Re: Calories
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 04:22:30 PM »
Andy? Any idea about it?

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:35:13 PM »
There are references to a higher caloric requirement for thals in many articles, and many suggest that insufficient calories are partly to blame for poor growth among thal children, but I have not found any specific suggestion for caloric intake by thals. Just as important as calories though, is proper nutrition, as thals tend to test low in almost all nutrient categories. So, it isn't just how much you eat. It's what you eat. Empty calories should be avoided and nutritious foods should be the only thing thals are eating.

There is an excellent article about nutrients and thals at http://thalassemia.com/documents/articles.Fung-2012-Nutritional-Deficiencies-in-Thalassemia.pdf
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Nomad

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »
Hello Nomad,

I don't think there is a specified number of calories for thalassemia patients. I think it should be determined on an individual basis.  I agree with Andy that while growing, many thals require additional calories to help them maximize their height potential.   Thals, like the general population, should wat healthy balanced diets.  They should focus on getting adequate zinc (and other vitamins/minerals) in their diets.  Calories per say should be based on whether an individual is under weight. 

I often hear that thals experience lack of appetite just before transfusions.  Perhaps at such times a nutritional/caloric supplement may be helpful. 
Sharmin

Offline Nomad

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 12:16:53 PM »
 :huh ups what happened!? A posting of me without text? I'm speechless!!   :rotfl

Offline Nomad

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Actually the question came to my mind after reading about IGF in Thalassaemics
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25408860/
Of course kids in adolescence and diabetics have a special requirement but what about grownup Thalassaemics in , let's say, normal condition?

Offline Waleed

• I'm not normal but Supernormal
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:14:27 PM »
Dear Nomad,

4000kcal is a lot. These are target calories in bulking (gaining weight) season for bodybuilders, with 200lbs+ bodyweight and around 6ft high, who eat 6-7 meals a day. That's a huge challenge in itself to eat that much quality food that would total upto that much calories. What I sense here is perhaps what you heard/read was kJ i.e Kilo Joules instead of Kcal, which is almost 4 times more a figure than Kcal. I am thal major and I eat to gain quality weight by eating 3500+ quality calories in 4-6 sessions and I know of no other thal major who eat that much food.
Waleed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk