Soya Milk

• 11 Replies

Offline Lokkhi maa

Soya Milk
« on: November 04, 2015, 09:47:39 AM »

Hello Andy,

What is your advice for taking soya milk? Can I give it to my baby according to the below advantages:

"Soy milk also helps consume B-complex vitamins, and serves as an especially rich source of riboflavin, or vitamin B-2, and vitamin B-12. Getting enough vitamin B-12 in diet helps cells to produce DNA, aids in red blood cell function and also keeps nerves healthy. A serving of soy milk provides 3 micrograms of vitamin B-12, more than the 2.4 micrograms need each day. The riboflavin in soy milk helps the cells to produce energy, and it also shields DNA from damage.

Drinking soy milk also helps boost calcium and iron. Body relies on the calcium from diet to maintain dense and strong bone tissue. Without it, body draws on bones as a source of calcium, which reduces bone density over time.

Soy protein can decrease cholesterol levels. The FDA (Food and Drug Administration of US) confirms that soy protein, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may significantly reduce the risk of coronary heart. The FDA recommends to incorporate 25 grams of soy protein in daily meals." :smiley
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

• Will thal rule you or will you rule thal?
Re: Soya Milk
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 06:22:05 PM »
I don't care much for soy. It can affect hormones and its use should be somewhat limited. I prefer almond milk over soy milk.
Andy

All we are saying is give thals a chance.

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »

Thanks Andy.Actually I don't know why my babies speech therapist advice for soya milk? :dunno :dunno
Lokkhi Maa

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 01:01:29 PM »
Dear Andy

Does hormonal effects matters in babies also......?

If so hydroxyurea and thalidomide will also shows its effects in future.... Isn't so????

Offline Sharmin

• Little A
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »
Where as drugs such as hydroxyurea are necessary and helpful for thal - the potential hormonal effects of soy are not worthwhile when you can gain all of the benefits from other foods (such as almond or goats milk etc).

Sharmin

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2015, 07:34:47 PM »
Hello Sharmin

Plz explain your view......my confusion still persist.... ??Are you giving your child hydroxyurea ,thalidomide or any such foetal haemoglobin increasing medical treatment.... Or any experience you have about it...pls share it....

Actually my question is about effects of hydroxyurea and all ...I talk to a person aged around 20-25 taking hydroxyurea treatment and he stopped it as it caused some hormones problems for him.....Then I thought may be this treatment not worked for adults but confused that if I seek it for my 2 year baby....does  it effect him in future ....I need guidance as this treatment is advancing very rapidly among thalassemic community in India....
And if this is right in all aspects then I also want to try

Andy plz guide
Neha

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 03:46:27 AM »
I feel that soy should be eaten in moderation because it mimics estrogen. This can affect anyone.

All drugs have side effects. If the drug is necessary, the value must outweigh the negative from side effects. These drugs are a temporary fix until newer better drugs are developed. The side effects of these drugs are mild, especially in comparison to the long term effect of blood transfusions. Reducing or eliminating transfusions is the main goal of research because transfusions are really the worst thing about thalassemia. Also, the effects of these drugs and the side effects cease once the patient stops using the drugs.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
Dear all,

Day by day confusing arising and arising.Sometimes I feel tired actually what to do? :dunno

What I will give or what not?Which will be effect badly to my baby or which will be better? :huh How I will manage thalassemia,seizure,speech delay?? May be speech delay is one of part of Autism.But she is a so energetic and active baby.Doctor mention it is her hyper activity.So need Occupational therapy.Already start speech therapy and homeopathy treatment,still not Occupational therapy.

Dear Andy,now my baby is 2 yrs old, taking all supplements for thal and taking transfusion after every 5/6 weeks.She is also taking phebarbital (should be continue next year May'16) for her seizure and as I know its a drug.This month I will also test her ferrittin level.Last April '15 ferrittin was 459.If it increase then Asunra will be applicable for her or not?Bcoz it is also a drug.Phenobarbital and Asunra both together continue possible?? ??? Now let talk about  Hydroxyurea.I don't know Hydroxyurea will be helpful for my baby or not ! But is it possible to continue all of drugs together ??? ??? ??? ???

Dear Andy and all please help me..I am really in a big trouble and tension to thinking above all...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 10:52:17 AM by Lokkhi maa »
Lokkhi Maa

Offline Andy Battaglia

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 10:17:41 PM »
Lokkhi,

You are doing a great job. Yes, there are many decisions to make, but you are asking the right questions and taking the proper steps. Don't think you're in trouble.

Yes, chelators like Asunra can be taken along with other drugs. Once she has had 10 transfusions, have the ferritin checked. You may need to start the chelator at that time.

I cannot predict the outcome as far as what the seizures may have done. I think only time will tell if the child needs special help.

Your child can only take hydroxyurea under a doctor's supervision, so this is not an issue until the doctor approves it.
Andy

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 03:28:27 AM »

Thanks a lot Andy... :heartpink

I have already discussed about Hydroxyurea but doctor advised not to apply before 3 yrs..

Now I am very much worried for my babies speech delay..Thalassemia and seizure all are manageable by treatment.But no medicine foe speech..  :idunno
Lokkhi Maa

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 05:48:58 AM »
Hello lokhi maa.....
Howz ur baby and its fever??
what your doc had actually told u about hydroxyurea.....its dos and donts.....effects and side effects..... When and how to start....be before and after care.....

Plz share it in detail...

Thanks
Neha

Offline Lokkhi maa

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 02:48:57 AM »

Hello Hardik,

Now my baby is fine.After every transfusion she suffered by fever minimum 2 days but this time she recover in 1 day.How is your baby?

After complete 2 yrs I discussed with my babies doctor for apply Hydroxyurea but he advised not to think before 3 yrs.Completing 3 yrs then he will decide (he was so much surprised when we ask for Hydroxyurea).Advised to keep HB 9.5 to 9 and continue folic acid.

You know in Bangladesh all Hematology doctor think the treatment of thalassemia is only folic acid.Bcoz they only advise for folic acid.May be one of doctor advised for vit E if I wish nothing else.I found all supplement information i. e. vit E, B complex,wheat grass,green tea from this site which are really helpful for our child.In my side country India where wheatgrass is available but in my country still it have no idea.I search it everywhere in my country but no result...

Andy advised to remove for white cell at the time of transfusion but in my city there is only one center where only platelets remove possible...

There are so many barriers for that everything we can't do as per advised......For that want to say my baby "we are really many many sorry my Lokkhi maa"...
Lokkhi Maa

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk